New to poking around inside computers - advice, please

Rose_Red_Wolf

So, I recently got a hard drive with Windows XP on it, which is something that I've been after for a while, so that I can keep using my favourite image editing/manipulation program (Microsoft PictureIT 2000, which I actually have on disk). I hooked it up inside the case of my e-machine, which runs Windows Seven, so that I could boot from either hard drive.

This half-worked - the XP Hard Drive will boot in safe mode, but in normal mode, it starts to load the OS, then reboots, rinse and repeat. the BSoD that comes up is gone by the time I blink. Last Working configuration also doesn't solve anything.

I don't want to make a fresh install of XP from my disc either, because I've done that before, and it eats the files that I need to run PictureIT.

So, any advice or anything or the sort would be much appreciated, thanks.

_Pete_

That drive would have had Windows XP installed on it in a different machine. There all the drivers etc installed on that hard drive pertain to that computer not yours. Sometimes a computer will add it's own drivers but because Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, or any other hardware manufacturer these days, the drivers will not be available. The drivers you need MAY be archived on the various hardware manufacturer's web sites but you will have to install them manually. By far the best way to do it is to install Windows XP from scratch but even then your computer will struggle to find the drivers for Windows XP. Also an e-machine is not exactly the best computer to be doing that on. Have you tried installing Windows XP in a "Virtual Machine" (VM) enviroment?