New to set up Administrator on new computer

eliza555

My husband recently purchased a new Acer. Really likes it .
When he set it up, he put a user name and password in but forgot to
set up an Administrator user name and password. Now, he cannot find
how to set up the Administrator and needs to make a change within the computer and can't do it without first logging on to the Administrator.
Any ideas? Thanks

tremmor

control panel
user account
add or remove user account.
i would add another like admin 1 and 2 with admin rights
and password protected in case it gets corrupted.
you will be down.

then again, i don't know if you can without it.
I read your comment again. sorry.
i don't know. and don't think so. If ya don't have admin rights
i suspect your in trouble already. we will see who responds.

Last edited:

eliza555

Yes, it asks for the user password at startup. But, now that he needs to make a change , he must put in the administrator password which doesn't exist.

tremmor

thought about it again. a new installation should be admin. been a while.
likely he forgot the password.

Casey

Format your computer and install a clean version of XP or Windows 7. But before that go into CMD and try some old Net User commands and see if you can just add an administrator account. Google it.

eliza555

Thanks all for the suggestions. None of these worked. At this point, he is thinking of getting the few things he had put in and returning it. Has built the other computers in our house and does have knowledge of them. Says he unpacked this one very late and night and forgot about the Administrator.
Has spend the day trying to get in to add it.

wolfeking

banned
the admin password should be the password set up when he first set up the computer. I have never set up a computer of any kind (linux distros aside, they go about things a little different) that didnt set the first account as admin. After all, you have to use an admin account to create any other account.

linkin

VIP Member
Once you create a new user, the default Admin account is hidden unless you go into safemode or no other accounts are available. Even with a password, this account should auto-logon.

I had real trouble with this myself, it almost cost me a fair bit (computer wasn't mine)

The problem is that you need another admin account to delete the current one. But creating another one means you'll still have one left over and the admin account hidden.

The easiest way to fix this is to right click my computer, click manage, then local users and groups, then users, and delete any of the ones you have created, including the one currently logged on.

Hsv_Man

Linkin is right another thing is the true administrator account is not visible unless you enable it first in Administrative tools the default installation of windows 7 sets the administrative account not visible on the logon screen unless you enable it manually.