new to the forum and needing help...

darwins

hi all, im new to the forum and badly need some help.

i wonder if there is anyone here who can help me, i know very little about servers and i suspect i have done something stupid, and im hoping its reversible.

i have a Dell poweredge 2900, all was fine, but it started to get slow, so i have bought a newer version with a lot more ram, twin cpus etc.

both systems have the PERC5 raid

bays 0 and 1 are a mirrored pair with OS and data on them

bays 2,3 and 4 are a raid 5 containing my media files

bays 5,6 and 7 are just single drives.

i backed up my data from the OS drive, just my person stuff as i was expecting to need to do a reinstall.

then i took bays 1 and 2 from the old server to the new, imported foreign config and the machine booted, did a few updates etc and all was fine.

this is where i started to mess up...

as the first pair worked, i assumed the rest would, and put the rest of the drives in (all drive in the same order, in the same bays). believing it would work due to the first two working, i didnt back up the raid 5 drives. and yes i know it was stupid

the new server wont see the drives, so now i took all the drives out and put them back into the old server. in the old server it has the option to import the foreign config from the first two drives, and all the rest have rebuild next to them.

i am now scared to be honest to do anything else for fear of losing all my media etc, is there anyone that can talk me through this in baby steps please?

thanks

darwins

in the end i put all the drives into the new server, then i set up new virtual drives using the old disks in the same places with the same settings, luckily the PERC5 then rebuilt the drives and all is fine :)