New Ubuntu Problem

jonnyp11

Now i'm putting it on my emachine in my sig, made a disk this time with 10.04lts since most like it apparently, but once it was running it doesn't recognize my wifi adapter i used on the other and worked, it doesn't show that anything is plugged in at all, and it doesn't matter which port it's in either, just nothing, and it does light up recognizing it's powered like normal too, really just want to use ubuntu

jonnyp11

a wusb100 v.2 by lynksis, i know when i was working with the other computer when i put it in it instantly recognized and used it, but at the same time on my other computer it would consistantly drop the internet ever min or 2, even though i was only a couple feet from the router and every other computer was fine, but i was also on 10.10 so it may have had a few newer codecs/drivers built in to use newer adapters.

wolfeking

banned
try a 11.04 disk (just live boot it) and see if it will recognize it. It could be as simple as a driver issue. 11.04 IS the most current, thus has the most drivers stock.

NyxCharon

I don't understand what's going on. I have the EXACT same wifi adapter, works right out of the box. Run ifconfig and post the results please. Yes, ifconfig not ipconfig (like in windows).
Also, type in nm-applet in a terminal and see if you have a connection then.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

but 11.04 also has all the extra crap and i've hear it is less liked than 10.04 and less stable and stuff like that.

the ifconfig showed when i posted, i will do that in a min, i have to reboot every time, only comp i can use at the moment.

wolfeking

banned
its just as stable. Its based off the same core (like 2000 -> XP). The differences are more drivers (Raeltec AR5B97 no longer needs driver installed), and visual. Ubuntu classic (available as a login screen option) is almost the same as 10.04.2

jonnyp11

well i'm downloading 11.04 now, i guess i'll use it, hopefully i can finally get this thing working right, would love to figure it oput so when i get my machine built whenever that happens i can use this untill i get windows and if i get wine running correctly and if there's a way for origin to run, think i found a way a week ago in a forum, then i can just use it for the time being untill i need windows, maybe never, i hope, i b broke so saving 100 would be awsome.

love my internet, pulling a steady 1.51 mb/s on 11.04, only going a couple .01's up and down.

Last edited:

Dngrsone

VIP Member
its just as stable. Its based off the same core (like 2000 -> XP). The differences are more drivers (Raeltec AR5B97 no longer needs driver installed), and visual. Ubuntu classic (available as a login screen option) is almost the same as 10.04.2

In my experience it is just as stable as long as you don't mess with any settings... then it goes to hell.

But then, I've been fighting my computers for the past four months, regardless of which OS is on them.
argh.gif

jonnyp11

hey, my comp. doesn't seem to want to format the disk and i don't want to ask for another cuz my dad uses the disks alot, i'm gunna google it but anybody got any suggestions, and i'm feeling stupid cuz i never closed the burning program i have, nero, came with comp., so gunna try again first with it closed.

jonnyp11

i guess i'll do that now, reall quick, would you say do that or do 11.04.

k, so ifconfig showed eth0 and my ethernet port, then lo and 0's and such, and nm-applet said it was already running, and also remembered that putting the disk in is supposed to ask to add in other stuff on the disk, but nothing shows.

i'm just gunna go to 11.04 now and hope that works.

Last edited:

NyxCharon

So nm-applet is already running? What happens when you click the wireless icon on the top corner? Can you not select a network? Guessing you get a error message or something instead.

jonnyp11

no, when i clicked on the wifi icon in the corner it had the vpn options, and said it was disconnected but was grey so i couldn't change that, but i am on it now, went to with wubi and it works, but i have a new question, how can i uninstall the disk installation of 10.04, cuz it comes up with than menu, then i select win7 and it lets me choose it or this there, and after that it has another menu for win7 ubuntu linux or ubuntu, with linux (another q, what's the diff of the 2) but this is on a menu more like the first.

jonnyp11

oh, and it is currently updating drivers or whatever, but it said this geforce 7050 igpu doesn't have the ability to run unity, but may be the drivers there.

and can somebody link me to a page with some of the wallpapers and widgets like yall have, or the ones on the post your desktop thread in desktops section, like the apple style bar at the bottom and stuff like that.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
nope. that card isnt powerful enough to run it. The minimum is Geforce 8600 or newer (or ATI equivalent).
Either way, do yourself a favor and upgrade it to Gnome3 and be done with it. It will be easier to use and more Linuxy (less like OSX).

jonnyp11

how do i get gnome3, and if this is too weak how can my radeon 9600se run it, it is barely faster and lacks this chips softwares, and i have played crysis on this chip so i think it can handle this.

and whenever i sudo apt-get install, it runs like 4-5 lines and says e: unable to locate package -----

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
I was just forwarding what Ubuntu has stated. And the lack of dedicated memory on a integrated chip really pulls a lot from its performance. Benchmark wise (as well as games), a X1600 will outperform a HD4200 IPU, even though the 4200 has better stats.

Gnome 3: open terminal (im going to assume that you know how to do that.)
Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
then
Code:
sudo apt-get update
, then
Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade
, then
Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
then when you reboot, you will need to choose Gnome to boot into it.