New User! Computer Slow!?!?

ashleynd1234

Hi,
Not sure if I'm putting this in the correct place, sorryif I never! My comuter has become very slow lately as well as my internet! I was wondering if there was a way to get rid of files or something in order to free some space and make my comp quicker! This is a brand new computer, I am working with XP and a cable modem.....N e help is appreciated :)

Geoff

VIP Member
If you could tell us how much memory you, your cpu, have and how big of a hard drive you have, it would be a huge help. If you dont know, go to start > control panel > switch to classic view > system, and it should tell you how much ram and what your cpu is. then post back here.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
click start > programs > Accessories > system tools > Disk Cleanup. Then follow the instructions. This should free up some space

cell4me

banned
elmarcorulz said:
click start > programs > Accessories > system tools > Disk Cleanup. Then follow the instructions. This should free up some space

Also download this http://www.ccleaner.com/ and clean out all your temp files every now and then, and also scan your pc for issues and have ccleaner fix what it finds, another thing I would do is follow all the steps in the sticky in computer security section on this forum as you might have a virus and or spyware, you have good processor speed and cable internet you should be pretty fast, if you are running alot of programs you might want to install more memory though!

computerhakk

VIP Member
what programs are u running? if there isn't neccessary programs that u know you dont use or those "trial" version that comes with a new pc, u can remove some of them.. most of them come with useless stuff that u probably dont even need..

start>control panel> add/remove programs

Pfv3

I think you should check for spyware as the previous message said. It is one of the most likely reasons.

skaterdude_04

I had the same problem once, so i installed norton anitvirus and internet secruity. Their firewall is amazing. Also as someone said before download ccleaner, this is very good to delete unwanted junk files and unused registry keys or something like that. I use spybot search and destroy and this destroys alot of soyware which slows down your computer aswell. So good luck and try these programs.
dan

snowman15

spyware/adware!!!!!!!!!!
my computer was deathly slow (my old computer) and it wasnt even that bad....then we downloaded adaware and spybot virus scans off download.com and that totally made it faster...i found 800 virus objects, depending on yoru computer use u may have more or less virus's and depending on the virus's it may make ur comptuer faster

meanman

also defrag your hard drive double click my computer ,double click c drive click on the tools tab at the top and defrag this might help