New video card, screen flicker

vzfox

Let me tell you what has occurred, bare with me please...

I have two 27 inch ASUS monitors (VE278H) and a computer build as such;
AMD FX 4300 Quad core processor
ASUS MSA99FX Pro R2.0 AM3+ board
32 gig DDR3 RAM
Corsair CX-M 600W power supply
GTX 1050ti oc low profile video card (no external power)

As of a month ago, my old video card of GTX 960 stopped working on the HDMI side and wouldnt allow one of my monitors to even show up as being plugged in. So I bought a new GTX 1050ti oc low profile with 2 HDMI ports. The new card does not have the 6-8 pin external power, but power only from the PCIx16 slot. Just a couple days of use I started noticing one of my monitors (the same one that didnt show on the 960 card) start flickering whenever I would start any kind of video on YouTube or started a graphical game. The screen will go black for a second then come back on and it will do that a few times before becoming stable and stop the "flicker". With every video I start and stop, it will flicker black on and off a few times but never completely stays off and eventually becomes stable. I did purchase a new HDMI cable with the new video card for the flickering monitor, just in case it was a cable issue, but it didnt help. The second monitor is completely stable with no flicker ever and I usually load all games to the non-flicker stable monitor, but the other monitor that has nothing going on it will get the flicker on and off. If nothing graphical is loading, no videos or games and just straight internet pages or documents, it will remain stable with no flicker.

I am prepared to purchase a new monitor if thats what the issue is, but before I do I want to ask you guys what you think...I have tried increasing the core voltage of the 1050 card up to +8 mV to see if that would help and maybe not enough power from the PCI slot to load anything graphical, but that hasnt helped at all. Also tried moving the video card to the second PCIx16 slot, but same issue and no help.

What do you guys think...monitor going bad? motherboard issues? power issues? The computer build is approx 4 years old and the monitor flicker is the only issue it has given thus far. Games well enough with minimal video lag. I use 2 monitors for the ease and simplicity of a chat or similar on one screen and game on the other. Thanx in advance for advise :)

Agent Smith

It sounds like a monitor issue. To test this just swap the cables on the GPU for different HDMI ports. I'm sure you'll still get flickering. I wouldn't mess with GPU voltage and wound set it back to normal. The card is meant to use the PCI-e power, so it's not a power issue at all. I have this same card, and yes, I was surprised it only used the PCI-e power and no external PSU connectors.

How old are the monitors? Is it possible that faulty monitor is still under warranty?

vzfox

That was the same idea I had and I did swap the cables...same monitor flickered. I was almost positive the monitor itself was the issue but didnt want to rule out any possibilities since it had gone totally off with the old video card and wouldnt even register as being there, but with new video card it registers just fine and only flickers from time to time now. I did order a new monitor, 32 inch Sceptre Curved and plan to only run one monitor (desk isnt big enough).

As for the ASUS monitors and their age/warranty...they are 4+ years old and no warranty. With the new monitor, I purchased an additional 3 yr warranty protection plan :)