New Video Card Suggestions Please

Laquer Head

Since you guys have been awesome in helping this noob choose the right video card, I have one more question.

My GTX 1070 is arriving today. My plan was to take it to the Geek Squad to install. However they said I wouldn't get my computer back for 5-7 days. I look at this as good news. It will push me into doing what I should be able to do anyways, and that's install it myself. So... is it as simple as just swapping out cards and going to the Nvidia site to download the proper drivers? Hopefully the PS connectors are the same. My GTX 670 has 2x 4 pin (I think) connectors.

Thanks

Holy Sweet Flyin ****.....thats ludicrous

Do it yourself, literally takes 2 minutes..if that.

5-7 DAYS?!?!?! what are they doing shipping it out to the manufacturer for install??? insane!

Laquer Head

Replacing your graphics card
  • Unscrew slots
    Typically, a graphics card is not just plugged into a PCI-e slot on the motherboard, but it is also secured with a screw at the backside of the case. With the side cover of the case removed, you should be able to see and access the screw(s) clearly. Depending on how big the graphics card is, it will be secured with either one or two screws. To be able to remove the graphics card, remove the screw(s) holding it in place.
  • Unplug power connectors
    The more powerful a graphics card is, the more power it will need to work. This means that many graphics cards today have separate 6- or 8-pins power connectors located at the top end of the card. If your old card has one or more of these cables plugged into it, go ahead and carefully unplug them before moving on.
  • Plug out, Plug in
    Once the old card is unplugged and no longer secured to the case with screws, you can gently push down or pull on the catch at the end of the PCI-e slot that holds the graphics card in. You should now be able to lift the old graphics card out of the case and replace it with the new graphics card. Once the new graphics card is placed in the PCI-e slot, make sure you secure it to the case by using the screws you removed from your old graphics card. Also don't forget to connect the power connectors at the top end of your new graphics card, this should be either 6- or 8-pins connectors coming from the power supply.
msi card.jpg