New video card

colt1911

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new video card and have a few questions. I currently have a gtx 570 and have been getting low frame reates playing wow ( 35 to 45 range ) I was wondering if going to a gtx 670 or save a little and buy the gtx 660 would help?

jonnyp11

I see no reason why a 570 and an I7 should get framerates like that, have you been scanning for virusses and malware and updating your drivers regularly?

FuryRosewood

have you checked your settings in wow to make sure your max framerate is not being capped? the game should be running much faster than that...thats the speeds my 460 would achieve in stormwind...

tech savvy

Something else is causing the low frame rates. I get a constant 60fps(believe it's capped@60fps, probably could pull 80+) in WoW on ultra, with my 2550k and 560ti 448.

Edit: WoW is not that demanding. I used to max that game out with my old 7300gt.

Last edited:

G80FTW

Reinstall windows, latest mobo bios, latest nvidia drivers and mobo drivers then come back.

Reinstalling windows should always be left as a LAST resort. Should never be the first solution. As we all know that process is rather times taking and annoying...

Okedokey

Reinstalling windows should always be left as a LAST resort. Should never be the first solution. As we all know that process is rather times taking and annoying...

Absolute nonsense. This may of been true in the days of slow and expensive hard drives, complicated installs and XP, but not anymore.

Seriously, what rubbish. He has SSD which takes (from experience) around 30 minutes to reinstall Win 7 and another say 30 minutes to reinstall patches and drivers.

Secondly based on the setup he has i am pretty confident once he has done that, it would be completed (ie. seperate hdd for storage). A GTX570 and i7 should smash WOW. An hour to reinstall Win 7 is by far the best way to check if it is a hardware issue. The alternative is to spend 3 hours troubleshooting random suggestions. On that G80FTW, I do note you haven't added anything constructive to the thread.

This is almost certainly a software issue and can be resolved (with additional benefit) by a OS reinstall. Last resort my backside.

Last edited:

FuryRosewood

OS may take no time to install, but updates, software and everything else? It takes me 10 hours to get back to where I was after an install between setting up my build environment and such. What your saying is rubbish. SSDs may be fast, but finding installers and other things take time. Hell WOW alone probably will take about 2-4 hours to get installed completely depending on your connection..

swchoi89

Hey, this might not work but fixed my issue with my GTX 670 with random FPS drops.

Go to Nvidia Control Panel. In the Power Management option, set it to Maximum instead of "Adaptive". See if that works

Okedokey

OS may take no time to install, but updates, software and everything else? It takes me 10 hours to get back to where I was after an install between setting up my build environment and such. What your saying is rubbish. SSDs may be fast, but finding installers and other things take time. Hell WOW alone probably will take about 2-4 hours to get installed completely depending on your connection..

You're doing something wrong then, secondly you're missing the point, he has a secondary storage setup, implying that all of the above assumptions you have just made are probably wrong.

For example, I have a similar setup, install windows, double click on the Steam app, install office and all updates. less than 2 hours.

jonnyp11

I think this is why ill stop listening when you say reinstall windows..

Pretty sure a lot of ignore him, he's very stubborn and doesn't seem to realize that some people have slower computers and/or internet and doesn't listen to opposing arguments.

G80FTW

Yup. This.

It took me about 10 minutes to install Windows 7 on my SSD. But then as this guy stated, you have to install everything again. Then there is the service packs along with hundreds of smaller updates (2 service packs I believe, 70MB each if Im not mistaken) which the computer has to download, install, then upon reboot it has to configure them. Your talking about at least 2 hours gone right there just installing the OS. And thats if your on a 30mbps connection like mine.

And it doesnt matter if he has all his stuff saved on the HDDs, because he still has to reinstall all the games and software because it will no longer be in the registry. A few programs might run without being reinstalled, but games I can assure you wont. And who wants to spend another 3-4 hours or so installing 250GB or more worth of games? And then having to set them all back up the way you want to....

I dont know if you have ever clicked that format C drive button.... but its a doozy if you have put time into your system and have been setup with it for even a couple months. Iv had my windows 7 installed for about 9 months and I would never think of completely formatting and re-installing unless there was no other option. Because even after 9 months it would take me as this guy said an entire days worth to get back to where Im at.

On that, big fella, I think I have probably saved someone if not many a huge hassle. Like I said, reinstalling windows should be a LAST RESORT. Getting low frame rates in games is NO REASON to reinstall the operating system. Clean the operating system maybe. But a complete re-install is not at all the solution to this problem.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah, I believe just because the dude is getting low frame rates in wow. Telling him to reinstall windows and then come back is alittle extreme for sure. Especially not even asking any questions about his system at all. I mean if he said windows was screwed up, no games ran right, locks up, blue screens, problems on and on. Sure reinstalling might be a better way to fix it then trying to work out all the problems. But just over low frams rates in one game! It could be nothing but a simple settings change.

tech savvy

10 hours to re-install Windows and updates? I can re-install my OS and update all drivers/patches in less then 1 hour. And if he is like everyone else, his OS in on the SSD, and games/media is on the 2x 1TB HDD's. So the only thing he has to do is install windows and the updates/drivers for windows. He don't have to re-install WoW or any other games, as long as it's on one of his 2x 1TB HDD's. But seriously, 10 hours?

Not saying that re-installing windows will solve the problem.

FuryRosewood

Tech I have to install Visual Studio 2010, along with all updates to the IDE, install python, and all dependencies. Heck then I have to configure the IDE, its just not fun to reinstall windows.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_Builds <- having to do this is a PITA.

I never reinstall steam, its on my 2TB hitachi, everything else resides on my 120GB SSD.

But yea, im not sure why low framerates would affect the setup, id suggest uninstalling all bits and pieces of the driver, and doing a clean install of the driver that is one step before the current. Sometimes current drivers just don't help things.

Last edited:

G80FTW

10 hours to re-install Windows and updates? I can re-install my OS and update all drivers/patches in less then 1 hour. And if he is like everyone else, his OS in on the SSD, and games/media is on the 2x 1TB HDD's. So the only thing he has to do is install windows and the updates/drivers for windows. He don't have to re-install WoW or any other games, as long as it's on one of his 2x 1TB HDD's. But seriously, 10 hours?

Not saying that re-installing windows will solve the problem.

No. If you re-install an operating system you HAVE to re-install your games as well. Does not matter where the games are located, the games put files into the registry of the operating system when they install and without those files you will get an error telling you to re-install the game to fix the problem. Like I said, a few games might work (most likely cheap, small games) but mainstream games will not.

spirit

Staff member
Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new video card and have a few questions. I currently have a gtx 570 and have been getting low frame reates playing wow ( 35 to 45 range ) I was wondering if going to a gtx 670 or save a little and buy the gtx 660 would help?

I'd recommend checking for viruses and possibly reinstalling your graphics drivers, or update them if the ones you currently have are out of date.