Newb trying to upgrade old computer...

Mopar69

Hi folks,

I've read some of these threads, and I am impressed at all of the knowledgeable people on here. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I would like to upgrade my old HP Pavilion p6404y.

Here are the specs:

• AMD Phenom II 820 Quad-Core Processor
  • 8GB DDR3 system
  • 1TB hard drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce 9100 graphics
  • Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n
  • 15-in-1 card reader
  • super multimedia dvd burner w/light-scribe technology drive
  • computer case is Mid-size ATX
  • expansion bay

What I would like to upgrade is the following:

• power supply
  • Geforce 750ti (unless I can get something better for around the same price range)
  • i5-6600 6M (3.3GHz)
  • motherboard
  • ***anything else that I may need for this to work

I would like to keep everything else from the computer, so my questions are as follows:

1. Can I do all of this and still keep my old computer case?
  2. Anyone have any other recommendations just in case I decide to upgrade other things from the computer?
  3. Should I splurge on DDR4 or keep the DDR3?
  4. I know of the SSD vs what I have now, but I am not ready to spend that kind of coin.
Thank you in advance for any help that anyone may provide.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can I do all of this and still keep my old computer case?
All depends on front panel cables such as usb and power button. Sometimes these are all in one cable and can't be attached to a retail motherboard.
Should I splurge on DDR4 or keep the DDR3?
You'll need DDR4 since you want 6600 cpu.
I know of the SSD vs what I have now, but I am not ready to spend that kind of coin.
This is not a question.

Highly recommend buying your own mid tower case. Also, your copy of windows won't reactivate on a retail motherboard, so you'll have to get a new OS.

Mopar69

All depends on front panel cables such as usb and power button. Sometimes these are all in one cable and can't be attached to a retail motherboard.

You'll need DDR4 since you want 6600 cpu.

Highly recommend buying your own mid tower case. Also, your copy of windows won't reactivate on a retail motherboard, so you'll have to get a new OS.

Would buying my own mid tower be because of what you mentioned about the "front panel cables and usb power button" or is there another reason?

I was thinking of getting Windows 7 from eBay. Is there some other place you guys shop at?

If I were to get another tower case, how do I know the parts I buy will fit? Will I also be able to use the parts from my old computer (e.g., super multimedia dvd burner w/light-scribe technology drive, fans, etc.)?

Would it be better to go with an i5 or i7? Any motherboards that you could recommend to go with the i5 or i7?

Thanks again for your help!

mistersprinkles

Just scrap everything except the hard drive. The entire machine is useless. Those machines have poor airflow, and tend not to take standard size motherboards etc.

What is your budget for a whole new machine?

Mopar69

Just scrap everything except the hard drive. The entire machine is useless. Those machines have poor airflow, and tend not to take standard size motherboards etc.

What is your budget for a whole new machine?

I would like to keep it under $900, but could go up if needed.

mistersprinkles

I would like to keep it under $900, but could go up if needed.

Hey sorry if my last post seemed harsh. I didn't mean for it to be like that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tgXh2R

^That is my suggestion for a $900 build. Add your current hard drive to the build as a storage drive. Use the SSD for your operating system and the most demanding games you have. You want Win 10, not 7. Win 10 gives you DX12 for the latest games.

An option with this build is to remove the SSD and change the 1060 to a 1070 for better gaming performance. You can buy the SSD at a later time. This will negatively impact Windows and games load times. Also some games don't behave well on an HDD like Watch Dogs 2, so do this at your own risk.

This build with the 1060 will let you play ANY game on ultra at 1080P.

Mopar69

Hey sorry if my last post seemed harsh. I didn't mean for it to be like that.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tgXh2R

^That is my suggestion for a $900 build. Add your current hard drive to the build as a storage drive. Use the SSD for your operating system and the most demanding games you have. You want Win 10, not 7. Win 10 gives you DX12 for the latest games.

An option with this build is to remove the SSD and change the 1060 to a 1070 for better gaming performance. You can buy the SSD at a later time. This will negatively impact Windows and games load times. Also some games don't behave well on an HDD like Watch Dogs 2, so do this at your own risk.

This build with the 1060 will let you play ANY game on ultra at 1080P.

No, not a problem. I didn't interpret your previous post as being harsh. As a matter of fact, I REALLY appreciate any input since I'm still learning. I assume I can find the answer of how to use my SSD, if I buy one, for my operating system and games on this forum?

Last of all, and I am only repeating this because no one has answered this question. I want to use my dvd reader from my old computer. Is that possible? Anything else I can use from my old computer? Fans, memory sticks, etc.? Thanks again!!

P.S.

Thanks for the link!!!!

lincsman

A little note on Windows 10... yes you can keep the same copy, you just have to (I did this myself), contact Microsoft and explain the situation, and they will require pictures of the receipts especially for the motherboard. It's a process and it took me about an hour but it's doable. They will also require the CD key for windows 7 if it was an upgrade and will give you a copy of a windows 10 CD key, or if you have a CD key for 10 then just provide that.

mistersprinkles

Yes if you have a standard removable DVD drive you can reuse it. Also you can reuse your 1TB hard drive.

If you want a cheap upgrade though, you can pick up a used 750Ti for 50 or 60 bucks and just slap that in your machine. No need for a power supply upgrade. It won't be great but you can play many games on medium or low settings.

Mopar69

Hello, I am a few days away from placing the order that mistersprinkles suggested, but I wanted last minute opinions before pulling the trigger on this. Here is the rig mistersprinkles suggested:

1. Is this all I would need to build my computer or am I missing anything?
  2. Is the MSI mobo decent, good, or great? Should I get something better?
  3. I was thinking about getting the AMD RX480 over the GeForce GTX 1060. Would this be a good choice or stick with the 1060?
  4. Should I stick with 8GB or up it to 12GB or 16GB?
  5. Should I drop the SSD from 500GB to 250GB?
  6. Is a 500W PSU plenty or should I upgrade to 650W?
  7. Does this build look like I can upgrade easily or can I build something significantly better if I were to drop a few more bucks? I would like to remain in the $900-$950 area.
I am not a big gamer, at this time, but I would like to build a rig that could handle games pretty easily and do other things (e.g., video editing, etc.), if the need ever arises. Thanks for any suggestions. All opinions welcome.

ramirez

I would stick with the GTX1060...most of the reviews favor this card over the RX480. The RX480 is a good card and it has a good price point, but performance wise, I think the 1060 takes it.
My only suggestion would be to go with 16GB of RAM, if your pocket book allows for the wiggle room. Other than that I think you got yourself a pretty good build there. Keep the 500GB SSD, space gets eaten up fast.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Would probably recommend getting a mid tower case and not a microatx one. You don't want to run out of room for a better video card. As it is now you would have to remove hdd cage to fit your video card.

Mopar69

I would stick with the GTX1060...most of the reviews favor this card over the RX480. The RX480 is a good card and it has a good price point, but performance wise, I think the 1060 takes it.
My only suggestion would be to go with 16GB of RAM, if your pocket book allows for the wiggle room. Other than that I think you got yourself a pretty good build there. Keep the 500GB SSD, space gets eaten up fast.
ok thanks!!

Would probably recommend getting a mid tower case and not a microatx one. You don't want to run out of room for a better video card. As it is now you would have to remove hdd cage to fit your video card.
I was thinking about this one: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case.

Would that one be good? Not really looking for anything fancy, but would like for everything to fit with no major tweaking.
http://pcpartpicker.com/product/cTQypg/corsair-case-200r