newbie help/computer wont turn on/where to start?

Bobo

banned
You were quite aware of what, exactly? :rolleyes:
Wait what?

All I was saying was that all 3 voltages go into the motherboard. AFAIK, the 12v is only used for the fan connectors on the motherboard, but that still counts.

There is an edit button...

SirKenin

banned
put... put.... awww.... doa :( I've been seeing this on a few new boards lately let alone one that's been in use for a period of time. :rolleyes:

A mechanic that "knew that" after the car has already been diagnosed isn't much of a mechanic, now, is he?

SirKenin

banned
Wait what?

All I was saying was that all 3 voltages go into the motherboard. AFAIK, the 12v is only used for the fan connectors on the motherboard, but that still counts.

Whatever :rolleyes: Kinda like the football player that goes down on the one yard line and reaches the ball into the end zone...

PC eye

banned
Nope. I'm almost 100% certain that it's the PSU that's the problem.

A mechanic that "knew that" after the car has already been diagnosed isn't much of a mechanic, now, is he?

You just seem determined to get in deeeperrrrr over your head there. :p What you seem to forget was the ealier post.

"Did you hear the default single beep upon first turning the system on? When a bios chip fails on a board nothing will run unless the cpu went bad on you."

Yet you were so insistent on a bad psu? :rolleyes:

SirKenin

banned
Well it's not a BIOS chip like you tried telling us. That I can tell you for sure. If it was it would be giving you a beep code:

1-1-4 (Phoenix)
9 short (Ami)

etc.

Truth is, you have no clue.

I did think it was a bad rail on the PSU, yes, but I'm not sitting over top of it trying to diagnose it either. It was perfectly logical to assume a PSU.

PC eye

banned
Well it's not a BIOS chip like you tried telling us. That I can tell you for sure. If it was it would be giving you a beep code:

1-1-4 (Phoenix)
9 short (Ami)

etc.

Truth is, you have no clue.

I did think it was a bad rail on the PSU, yes, but I'm not sitting over top of it trying to diagnose it either. It was perfectly logical to assume a PSU.

With fans and other things seeming to start running and then quit there would have been just enough voltage getting to the video card itself to have even a brief look at something trying to display there. But "nothing" came up on screen at all? Besides a bios chip itself there are other things that can go bad there like diodes and capacitors. Speaking of bad caps, http://www.badcaps.com/

SirKenin

banned
A bad cap I can certainly buy. Absolutely. I'm with you on that one. BIOS? No.

And no, a bad PSU will not light up the screen even for a second. I've had the problem he's having dozens and dozens of times where the PSU was the problem. That's why I suggested and was truly surprised when that wasn't the answer.

I guess you learn something new every day.

PC eye

banned
Without the bios chip you have no nv ram for video, boot device, fsb, and other settings since no information can be stored to give instruction to the board itself. To see if there are any bad caps on the board the few tips on that can be read at http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

pcclueless

Finally...........

Finally picked up computer from shop today. The problem? Bad processor for those who were curious. I appreciate everyone's best effort to help me out with this.