Newbie Multimedia Build

wingn2a

This will be my first build, and I’m wondering if what I’m considering will be adequate for it’s intended use. I want to build a system capable of transferring VHS to DVD and editing, without hanging up. :eek:

Processor………P4 3.4 Ghz.
I know there are different models of this processor, socket 478 and socket 775, and also the “Extreme” version. Any preference? Will Socket 775 allow me to upgrade the CPU in the future? Or is Intel scraping both of these socket formats in the near future?

RAM …………..I’m lost here
DDR? Dual Channel? I’d like to go with at least 1 gig and probably more like 2 gig. Kingston? Crucial?

HDD……………..Need help here too…
I thought about using 1 10,000 speed HDD (as the C drive) and a couple of 200 G drives for storage… is the 10,000 RPM drive a good idea? Would it give me that much more in performance? Any thoughts on SATA or RAID??

Power supply……. Is 420 watts adequate? 600 watts?

Graphics card (s) ……… ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT (or is there something better for this purpose?)
This will be a two monitor system… would I be better off using two video cards instead of utilizing the AIW for both monitors?

Any suggestions on motherboard or other hardware would also be helpful….

I greatly appreciate any suggestions.... :D

wingn2a

hummmmmmmmmm ........... something tells me that either the "help me with my first build" thread has gotten old, or somewhere in my post I stepped on my dick……….. Ok, I’ll go back to my corner…. ;)

lilpaul2019

ok the cpu is good make suire u get firewire onbored the mb or if u want a pci slot umm the ram 1 gig is good get duel channel 2 512s 3200 or if ur going t\with the LGA sokect get 4200 hard drive yes one 36gb 10,000 rpm and one 200gb 7200 rpmu could get an all ing wonder but if ur just makinf dvd movies u wouldn't need it just get a good 128 meg 4x/8x vedio card or if ur gettin LGA get a 6600 or a x600

wingn2a

Ok... Thanks lilpaul. I have a little experience with computers, mostly my own, but I'm not up on the current stuff... Dual channel RAM is better? And 2 sticks of 512 instead of 1 stick of one gig? The LGA socket must be socket 775? And firewire onboard the motherboard… ok…. The reason for this machine is that I have about 100 VHS tapes of my children when they were growing up, vacations and such, and I want to transfer them to DVD and edit them also… I think a little more intensive on the equipment than just making DVD’s…. I have a Dell Dimension 4300 P4 1.7 with 512 mb and 2 80gb HDD’s and a AIW 128 meg video card, but the thing takes forever just to transfer the VHS onto the HD to edit it…. And, it’s an excuse to have some fun and get a new computer…. Hehe….

Thanks again…. I really appreciate the help……………….

speedyink

VIP Member
I might be wrong, but aren't Athlon's supposed to be really good at video editing type programs? I thought it went like this:
Celeron for basic use, like word, or business type programs
Athlon for graphic and video intensive purposes
Pentium somewhere in between

I would personally get a 64 bit Athlon for video editing.

1 gig of ram would be good, but as always, more is better

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Processor………P4 3.4 Ghz.
I know there are different models of this processor, socket 478 and socket 775, and also the “Extreme” version. Any preference? Will Socket 775 allow me to upgrade the CPU in the future? Or is Intel scraping both of these socket formats in the near future?
The P4-550 is a nice processor and is the lowest proc that can take advantage of ASUS (et al) unlocking of the multipliers.

RAM …………..I’m lost here
DDR? Dual Channel? I’d like to go with at least 1 gig and probably more like 2 gig. Kingston? Crucial?
Brand doesnt matter all that much (as long as there is a brand). As for grade of ram, start with Value ram and then if you've got money, punch it up.

I thought about using 1 10,000 speed HDD (as the C drive) and a couple of 200 G drives for storage… is the 10,000 RPM drive a good idea? Would it give me that much more in performance? Any thoughts on SATA or RAID??
A 10K primary and a bunch of 7.2K secondaries works very well.

Power supply……. Is 420 watts adequate? 600 watts?
Not so much the wattage but the quality of the PSU. The lowest rated PSU I can reccomend (and think of) is the Vantec Stealth 420W. Next is the Antec TruePower 480W and the OCZ PowerStream 520W (current industry fav).

Graphics card (s) ……… ATI All-In-Wonder X800 XT (or is there something better for this purpose?)
A waste of money if all you're planning on doing is doing video editing. An All-in-Wonder 9600 will do the job for a quarter of the price. Of course things get a bit complicated depending on your mobo of choice

This will be a two monitor system… would I be better off using two video cards instead of utilizing the AIW for both monitors?
You're ok with one video card.

Any suggestions on motherboard or other hardware would also be helpful….
Since you'll be needing the most in terms of overal performance, you should definitely go all out (if your budget supports it) on the mobo and such:
- Socket 478: ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
- Socket 775: ASUS P5DA2 Deluxe (or something like that)
- Honorable Mention: Abit IC7-Max3, Abit AA8
Now if you do get a Socket775 board, grab a PCI-Express X300 (cheap) and then a PCI All-in-wonder card for the video stuff.

hummmmmmmmmm ........... something tells me that either the "help me with my first build" thread has gotten old, or somewhere in my post I stepped on my dick……….. Ok, I’ll go back to my corner….
Yeah i took a weekend vacation. ;)

I might be wrong, but aren't Athlon's supposed to be really good at video editing type programs? I thought it went like this:
Only in a 64bit environment. Otherwise its still Intel-land (in general).