Newbie needs help with selecting motherboard.

Mitty

Hello Folks.
I am new to this forum so as to bulding my new computer.I have upgraded my old emachines several times so i am handy about replacing hardware,but the problem i ran in now is too many motherboards to choose from. :confused:
Where to start..... :rolleyes:
To start with i will build pentium 4 system with 1 gb memory and 128 mb video. I am open to any sugegstion about motherboard as long as it is by well known manufacturer.It will have to handle video pretty good since moslty it will be used as a flight simulator(gaming).Also it will be used in CAD aplications.Please advise.Anyone??
Thanks.
Mitty

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
First you have to decide on a cpu... to say a pentium 4 is not specific enough :).. once you've choosend a cpu then you pick out the motherboard based on socket, FSB, ETC.

Verrona

Do not go 4 a pentium 4, they cost to much. A decent CPu is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754, inc VAT £105.69

Motherboard - ASUS K8V-X SCK754 8X AGP DDR400 SATA RAID+SND+LAN

£61.04 inc VAT!!!

Now that is worth buying, depending on ur money u cud have a nice system. I have a duel motherboard, running 2 AMD 64 3800+ processors 3000MB DDR RAM! N 400GB hdd!!!

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Do not go 4 a pentium 4, they cost to much. A decent CPu is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754, inc VAT £105.69

I dont think that was overly helpfull and did not asnwer his question ;-).. Although teh system you recomend is great and all and would be preffered my myself and you it doesn't mean it'll fit his needs at all.

Firstly AMD64 chips have been proven to run buisness type crap such as autocad much better then the old but isn't Intel still the recommended chip for such things?

Anyhoot he wants advice on what motherboard to purchase not CPU.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
to say a pentium 4 is not specific enough
Sure it is :)

once you've choosend a cpu then you pick out the motherboard based on socket, FSB, ETC.
Well the CPU would determine all that :p

Do not go 4 a pentium 4, they cost to much.
P4Es cost the same if not less than A64(S939s)

A decent CPu is an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 754, inc VAT £105.69
And without OCing the P4 will damn near at that alive.

I have a duel motherboard, running 2 AMD 64 3800+ processors 3000MB DDR RAM! N 400GB hdd!!!
It helps your credibility if you dont talk smack. There arent any S939 SMP boards available. Furthermore, do you have any idea how difficult/awkward it would be to have 3000MB??

Firstly AMD64 chips have been proven to run buisness type crap such as autocad much better then the old but isn't Intel still the recommended chip for such things?
All that "proving" stuff is benchmark crap that mostly focuses on the top end chips which are really not cost effective for average users

Not to single anyone here out and I certainly dont want to start anything but you meant 300MB right?
That would be slightly difficult too .... especially considering the smallest DDR memory stick is 32MB and those have been discontinued for several years now.

Now to finally provide a useful answer :p Here's a somewhat affordable configuration(s)

Socket775
- P4E-3.20 (S775)
- ASUS P5P800 (i865) or MSI 915P
- 1GB PC3200 (2x512)
- 1 x WD Raptor 36.7GB
- 2 x WD 250GB SATA
- <brandname> PSU, 420W-550W
Should be able to nail that for under $1000

Socket478
- P4C-3.20 (S478)
- ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe
- 1GB PC3200 (2x512)
- 1 x WD Raptor 36.7GB
- 2 x WD 250GB SATA
- <brandname> PSU, 420W-550W
Should be able to nail that for about $1000

The difference between the two?
- The first system allows you to upgrade easily (from a financial perspective) to a PCI-x, DDR2 platform by simply buying a the video card and the memory (if you get the 915/925 based board). Also, the first system doesnt have massive heat issues which the Socket478 prescotts had.
- Now if you have no particular use for PCI-x then its not really really worth this route since (a) the P4Es are clock-for-clock, less efficient than the P4Cs, (b) DDR2 doesnt offer an earth shattering amount of performance -- yet
- The second system gives you a rock solid, proven platform which runs on the much more efficient P4C-3.20 chip and the flagship motherboard.
- if it was me, Id prolly take the second system

But before we can spec the video card there needs to be a minor issue that needs to be addressed:
It will have to handle video pretty good since moslty it will be used as a flight simulator(gaming).Also it will be used in CAD aplications
Pick one. Video gaming and serious CAD work are mutually exclusive (unless you are only doing light CAD work). Why? Because gaming cards are designed for sheer speed rather than pixel precision -- with CAD work, pixel precision is king and as such, a top notch gaming card would be a major bottleneck on your CAD work. On the flipside, a (true) CAD card is designed for utmost pixel precision -- and not for capatability with DirectX or OpenGL (and often dont work or work well with those). There are "halfbreed" cards like some of the low-end CAD cards by ATi and nVidia (since neither company makes serious CAD cards) that can do good cad and semi-good gaming. Thats a choice youll have to make before the VC can be spec'd