Newbie needs Laptop Memory

Stringer45

Hi,

My gf's laptop needs more memory. I don't know alot about computers but I'm trying to help her out. It a sony vaio, approx. two years old. I'd like to suprise her by upgrading the memory.

I downloaded cpu-z, so i have the system info. I don't know how much info is needed so I'll just list most of it i suppose. Its a pentium T2050 processer (yonah), socket 479. Under memory tab it states 1024Mbytes, dual channel DDR2, DRAM FREQUENCY 266.0Mhz. Under the "SPD" tab, Slot 1 it says DDR2 512 Mbytes, correction: none, PC2-5300 (333mhz), hyundai electronics, part number HYMP564S64CP6-Y5. Under slot 2 it says the same thing. Also says 1.8 V at bottom of window.

I would like to have a total of two gigs in this machine, which should be a big improvement over one gig. What memory should I get? And how do I find out how many slots there are in this laptop? Cause it looks like its got two 512mb memory things in it, according to cpu-z. Its a vaio and it says "VGN-N220E" in the right corner just below the screen.

Thanks in advance for any help! :eek:

Edit: After looking up this laptop's specifications online, it says it uses "PC2 4200" memory, with a 2 gig max. But cpu-z says it running PC2-5300. So im even more confused now lol.

Last edited:

hondro

Edit: After looking up this laptop's specifications online, it says it uses "PC2 4200" memory, with a 2 gig max. But cpu-z says it running PC2-5300. So im even more confused now lol.

odds are your laptops only got 2 slots for ram, the one way to be sure is to open it up and look. if you want to put 2 gigs in it you could buy two 1 gb sticks or one 2gb stick. um the numbers after the pc2 is how much frequency ur rams using, u can run higher frequency ram then ur machine supports but it will only use as much as it supports..so even though ur using 5300 ram it will only only run at 4200 if thats waht ur machine supports. the main thing is to make sure u get ddr2, and if its a dell for instance, i know a lot of the time they'll only support dell specific ram. and when looking for memory u'll want to get the ones with the lowest cas latency and timings because that means it'll run faster........hope that helps