Newbie PC Build

Tyler Logsdon

Hi! I'm new to the world of building PC'S. I have tons of experience in the software side of things, but ive never built a computer before. I bought a cheap computer on eBay for $30, and I think its an ok start, seeing as I want to run older titles.

The description with the system:
"For sale is a refurbished HP Compaq desktop computer. The power cable is included. Windows is activated. The CMOS battery is new. Mouse, keyboard, monitor, and WiFi are not included.

Processor: Intel e6320 Core 2 Duo 1.87 GHz
Drive: 80 GB
RAM: 4 GB

Features: internal speakers, DVD drive".

So my question is what would be a good budget(VERY BUDGET) graphics card and (maybe) processor for this machine? the graphics card I had in mind was a "EVGA GeForce 210 1024 MB DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/HDMI/VGA Graphics Card, 01G-P3-1312-LR". I obviously have no idea what that means lol. So any suggestions are much appreciated :)

beers

Staff member
Hello

GeForce 210
Please don't, that's more of a media card not really geared for gaming.

What kind of games were you looking to play? What specific HP model is it? The board that it has will dictate what other parts you can throw in.

Tyler Logsdon

Hello

Please don't, that's more of a media card not really geared for gaming.

What kind of games were you looking to play? What specific HP model is it? The board that it has will dictate what other parts you can throw in.
I haven't received the system yet(still in shipping), I'm looking to play older titles(vanilla WoW, maybe codWaW, TES: Oblivion etc.. all low requirement games..) and I didn't know it wasn't geared for gaming(just proves how new I am lol) but it's an HP Compaq desktop, that's all I know except it's a 32 bit system, which was why I was looking for a new processor.

EDIT: according to non-extensive research, it turns out that the processor is 64bit, and the version of Windows is 32bit.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Processor: Intel e6320 Core 2 Duo 1.87 GHz
Drive: 80 GB
RAM: 4 GB

Just got to say that you won't be gaming very well on these specs. I do realize you said older titles but still. They don't make 80gb drives anymore so gonna have an issue there with age, access time on that drive will be horrendous. I also realize it was only $30 but still. To be honest, wouldn't put any money into this and look for something better if you want to play games.

Laquer Head

That processor alone is 8-9 years old now, and wasn't good when it was new!! That machine is beyond archaic

Agent Smith

Can you provide the ebay link? The exact model of Comp. is important. I hope you don't have to upgrade the PSU. You may not, but generally speaking with new Vid cards come with a new PSU if you don't have the wattage.

I'm betting you can build a fairly nice system to play old games for around $300 if that. All you need is an old quad core. Perhaps a Q6600. If you want to go this route let me know. I can give you a parts list. Also, a computer shop can put it all together for you for around $100. Are you in the U.S?