Newbie pc build

AMD_man

Since you mentioned upgrades, you should get a Z170 motherboard to be able to oveclock if you ever want to get a K CPU. Also get a SLI/Crossfire GPU, so you can add another one eventualy. It´s a little over the budget, but with your choices there is not much room to upgrade. This way you could get an I5-6600K and add another RX 470 eventually.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9XL26X

Dwinell4

Since you mentioned upgrades, you should get a Z170 motherboard to be able to oveclock if you ever want to get a K CPU. Also get a SLI/Crossfire GPU, so you can add another one eventualy. It´s a little over the budget, but with your choices there is not much room to upgrade. This way you could get an I5-6600K and add another RX 470 eventually.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9XL26X
Thanks. Not sure that I will ever be overclocking it.

You don't really need a blu-ray drive. You can get by with a DVD/RW for $18. Do you plan on using Blu-ray? If so, get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3V634N3776
Yeah not sure why I had the blu-ray on there. Don't plan to be watching blu-rays.

HDD get 7200rpm
Glad you caught that, I had the 7200rpm on there at first and must have accidentally changed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

AMD_man

i would go nuts without a dvd drive in my system. I use it a lot. Dvd drives will be around for quite some time.

"Better to have, and not need, than to need, and not have."

I have one and I never use it but it's nice to know it's there.

_Glitch

Both my laptop and Desktop are without. And have been for 3 years.
I have a USB DVD drive collecting dust somewhere if i need it.

Agent Smith

AMD will never have the processing power of Intel. But AMD is a good budget computer I guess, but I would still go Intel. Well, for me at least it's necessary I pull enough single threaded power from the CPU for FS2004.

Cisco001

AMD will never have the processing power of Intel. But AMD is a good budget computer I guess, but I would still go Intel. Well, for me at least it's necessary I pull enough single threaded power from the CPU for FS2004.

His budget is $600.
It could be better to wait for the cheap quad core from AMD Ryzen than dual core i3

BTW, why are you saying that? their new CPU seems to match i7 6900K

_Glitch

This is properly gonna be AMD's greatest comeback in years. The new Ryzen series is looking very promising.
Unfortunately for AMD, Intels Gen7 series are right around the corner as well. Hell, it's already out for laptops.
It's gonna be interesting to see how they are gonna stack up. But given Intels recent history, i'll bet AMD yet again is gonna be left behind.

AMD_man

Pretty much every benchmark released for RyZen suggests otherwise.

If you compare 2017 not released processors with 2013 processors, then yes, you are right. You are talking about the Xeon E5 v2 benchmarks right?

I´m sure @Agent Smith didn´t mean AMD would never ever reach Intel´s capabilities.

Darren

Staff member
If you compare 2017 not released processors with 2013 processors, then yes, you are right. You are talking about the Xeon E5 v2 benchmarks right?

I´m sure @Agent Smith didn´t mean AMD would never ever reach Intel´s capabilities.

Most of the benchmarks in question are against the 6900K IIRC.

And wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's what Smith meant.

AMD_man

Most of the benchmarks in question are against the 6900K IIRC.

And wouldn't surprise me in the least if that's what Smith meant.

I will have to disagree with @Agent Smith then. Now I've seen what you mean. I saw the Blender benchmark. Very impressive. It was about the same (a little slower on the RyZen side, but it didn't have turbo ON). Also cheaper and less power hungry. It's going to be huge amongst content creators.