newegg diy kits?

kazkepox

I saw on newegg where they have premade kits to make your own computer. what do you guys think about these? I am part of building two computers for our media club at school. what do you guys recommend for that?

th1bill

I deal extensively with sound, video and photo and image work and I do so on my pumped up barebones and run a back up system of the same quality. My primary machine runs an MSI Mainboard K9N6PGM2 with an AMD Phenom Black triple core. I am in the final stage of MS and dropped the computer inserting my TV Tuner and killed the dual core AMD and mainboard that came in the kit and did all of my projects before the Black Triple core.

If you're heavy into three-d you'll need a better than the onboard video but I purchased my kits from Tigerdirect.com because of price and it left me with plenty of room for add on hardware and I came in for just under six hundred with a machine worth about $1100. Add to that the fact that I spent $0.00 for the Ubuntu Studio Operating Systems and nothing for the thousands of dollars worth of required, professional quality software and I have what has, conservatively, called awesome work computers.

From what I remember of the current DIY newegg kits, many of them are just fine. More of a giant combo package (to save money) made up of 4+ components rather than one of those "barebones" kits that are usually consisting of cheap components.

So yeah, it depends what newegg DIY packages you are talking about. The relatively new DIY packages (there are tons) at newegg are generally just big combos rather than the usually crappy "barebones" kits you can find all over with the cheapo generic cases, cheap mobos, etc.

If any of you regular posters that buy from newegg often haven't checked out their DIY section, I highly recommend it.

bomberboysk

From what I remember of the current DIY newegg kits, many of them are just fine. More of a giant combo package (to save money) made up of 4+ components rather than one of those "barebones" kits that are usually consisting of cheap components.

So yeah, it depends what newegg DIY packages you are talking about. The relatively new DIY packages (there are tons) at newegg are generally just big combos rather than the usually crappy "barebones" kits you can find all over with the cheapo generic cases, cheap mobos, etc.

If any of you regular posters that buy from newegg often haven't checked out their DIY section, I highly recommend it.

Their "DIY" combos generally consist of just stuff they want to clear out, many don't even have decent savings over retail. Heck, i've seen some of their DIY things with a processor and motherboard that aren't even compatible.

Their "DIY" combos generally consist of just stuff they want to clear out, many don't even have decent savings over retail. Heck, i've seen some of their DIY things with a processor and motherboard that aren't even compatible.

I would assume that yes, some of their DIY combos consist of stuff they want to clear out and the savings over retail will be variable. (although virtually all will be savings over individual retail components) But I think the main reason they're doing it is simply to sell more computer stuff. However, I think you're taking the "crappiness" of the DIY packages a little too far. At least from what I have seen through browsing quite a few of the tons of pages of the packages, most all of them involve compatible components. Also (from the pages I scanned through), most all of them are modern components that are selling right now on newegg, anywhere from entry level, cheaper stuff to top of the line - for any category.

I believe the point of this thread was whether the newegg DIY kits were "decent" so to speak. Over the last several years, multiple sites (including newegg) have offered a smorgasboard of craptastic "barebones" kits. You know of the piles of trash I speak of. My point was that from what I saw, the fairly recent newegg DIY section seems to be filled with a ton of "giant combo packages" consisting of anywhere from a few components to pretty much entire systems, and the ones I speak of are NOT the regular crappy barebones kits. More like 2 or 3 of the regular newegg combo deals all bundled together. Is it cheaper to go this route (providing you can find a satisfactory package out of the hundreds of packages) over buying components individually? You bet. Is it cheaper than mixing and matching the regular combo deals along with maybe 2-3 individual components? I don't know, maybe.

Last edited: