Newegg might have screwed me on 9800 bundle

jjbpenguin

I bought an EVGA GeForce 9800gt bundled with a 600w thermaltake power supply. Come to find out the card requires 26amps on the 12v rail and this power supply has 2 12 volt rails each only offering 14 and 15 amps which unless I am missing something are far under the required limits to run my card.

Here is the power supply in question
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153077

Here is the card that is coming with it and will someday hopefully be running in my computer
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130384

the page only requires that I have a 400watt power supply, but EVGA states that the 12v rail must have 26+ amps verified by tech support.

Hopefully I am overlooking something, but unless you can combine the 2 rails together somehow, I am not going to get 26amps off a single 12v rail. Hopefully someone can offer me some good news so I don't have to send my new toys back.

prodigy2k7

The specs newegg had listed just showed a required 400watt power supply, only when i checked EVGA's site did it list the amp requirements for the 12v line

So you went to a toyota dealership to ask about a ford?

Sorry but, you shouldn't trust specs of a product on another company's site. Many online stores don't show all the specs of a product.

prodigy2k7

BYW I am no expert with PSUs, but the PSU has two 12v rails correct? one at 14 amps one at 15 amps, well that is a total of 29 amps, more than 26, wont one rail "borrow" some amps from another rail? I thought I heard this somewhere but again I am no expert with PSUs.

Someone please input?

I did some research and it also depends on the total wattage allowed to the rails. So I was half right... i think...

Its kinda confusing to me... Read this thread... http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245331-28-volt-rail-rating

Last edited:

jjbpenguin

i believe the amps on the rails add up.

so you have 29 amps on the 12v line

If that is the case, that would be awesome. I will need to check up on that to verify. If that is the case, why would they specify different amp values if they could share them?

ScOuT

VIP Member
I am not an expert with PSU but I can talk from my experience. You do not need 26 amps on a single 12v rail to run that card. I guarantee it. That power supply does only have 14 and 15 amps for the 12v rail...kinda low, but it should run that card.

I have an Antec Noe Power 650w with 19 amps on my 12v rail and I run a 9800 GTX overclock edition without any problems at all. I have OC'd my card to 800 MHz without problems.

I ran an 8800 GTX in my daughters Dell XPS 400 with the stock Dell 425w PSU and it worked great! It only had 12 amps and I never had a problem.

Last edited:

oregon

don't worry, newegg doesn't screw people. first of all, if a PSU has multiple +12V rails, you add up the amps on each to get a decent estimate. secondly, the graphics cards makers always give extremely high estimates as to how much power their cards need, just to make sure people don't blame them when their systems don't meet the specs. I think I remember seeing somewhere that the 8800GT/9800GT only uses about 12A under load.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You dont add up the amps on each 12V rail to know how many total amps on the 12V. You take the total of watts on the 12V rail and divide it by 12 to get it close. Not the total watts of the P/S but just the 12V rails.

MrBucket

So you went to a toyota dealership to ask about a ford?

Sorry but, you shouldn't trust specs of a product on another company's site. Many online stores don't show all the specs of a product.
Newegg does 99% of the time, just a simple mistake is all the that happened

jjbpenguin

don't worry, newegg doesn't screw people. first of all, if a PSU has multiple +12V rails, you add up the amps on each to get a decent estimate. secondly, the graphics cards makers always give extremely high estimates as to how much power their cards need, just to make sure people don't blame them when their systems don't meet the specs. I think I remember seeing somewhere that the 8800GT/9800GT only uses about 12A under load.

I was really hoping this was the case, and according to other forums and discussions I have recently looked up, ratings based on adding the 12V rails seems to be commonly accepted practice. I thought 312watts "12v*26a" was a bit excessive for this card, but didn't want to get everything opened up only to find that it was going to have to go back. Thanks to everyone for your help.

MrBucket

Haha... Ive seen many mistakes. Most of the mistakes they leave out some specs, they dont get the listed specs wrong.
That's where the 1% comes in. . . if its really a big deal you just copy make and model of the card into google, presto. . .

StrangleHold

Staff member
Newegg makes mistakes all the time on spec. and bundles. A while back they had a bundle with a Phenom 9850 and I think Biostar motherboard, the board didnt support 125W processors. I would say a few people had Flash/spark/smoke and fire problems:p

As far as that P/S, it would probable work, its on the boarder line. You dont add them together but the most it can pull is 14 on one rail and 15 on the other for a max total of 29 amps, regardless of how many it really has. EVGA says 400W with 26 amps, but thats for the total of a general system, not how much the card pulls.

MrBucket

all i ever see is sometimes they won't show ATI core clock speed on a few video cards i look up, never really bought a bundle or heard much about it but thats crazy, you know somebody got fired for settin that bundle with the Phenom

prodigy2k7

Well I dunno about fired since I don't think its written anywhere that they have to be compatible... But its probably an unwritten rule