NewEgg Robbed Me of $1500!!!!

ken4656

Since NewEgg will read this, I am writing this to get someone's attention...and also to share this with as many people as people until this gets resolved.

Before I give you a chronology of events here are the two main issues:

1. I shipped back an Intel QX9775 that I purchased new. One hour from delivery from you I called and realized I ordered the wrong item and it was not the item I needed for this board.
2. After all of this, NewEgg is now insinuating that I am a liar and returned a used QX9770 processor to them (ironically that is what I wanted to swap for) and is thus returning someone’s used processor to me after I paid you $1500 of my money.

On December 5th, I signed up with NewEgg as a preferred customer as I have bought from them many times before and for me it was a no brainer as I knew I would use the line of credit in future. Sales Order: 85517841 I purchased a Intel QX 9775 Processor for a computer I have been putting together as a Christmas present. That particular processor is a Socket 771.

On December 10th I received the item and upon opening it, realized the ASUS board I had purchased was a Socket 775, not 771 and thus the processor was useless to me. I had mistakenly ordered the wrong one. Stupid me.

I called immediately after realizing this and spoke with a rep in customer service believing this would be an easy thing to fix as I hadn’t even been billed yet for the order.

The rep on the phone first told me I should’ve read the description more carefully and suggested I sell it on EBay as they’d charge me a 20% restocking fee. Having managed customer service for 10 years I couldn’t believe what someone was telling me…especially as I just took out a line of credit with your computer under the impression I would be doing business with you for a long time to come.

I asked to speak to the supervisor and explained the situation to Maury Santamaria. He agreed to waive the restocking fee once it was confirmed that the item had been returned. As Christmas was coming, I offered to pay for the Overnight shipping via UPS at my own expense so we could resolve this quickly. In turn, I told him I did not want my money back at all…didn’t care about the price difference, just wanted the correct item. I did as I promised and on December 11th I provided him with the tracking number:
1Z0394E12540791123

I tracked the item myself and was relieved to see the item received and assumed all would be well.

On December 17th I was sent an email care of the RMA Inspector that after reviewing the package it was believed that the item received back did not match the serial number of the processor that they had sent me. The box was for the QX9775, but the item they were saying was sent back and is inside the box is the QX9770.

This to me was ironic…as it was the item I was trying to swap it out for as it is a Socket 775 processor. After calling again and speaking with Thomas in customer service, he was as puzzled as I was and said he would look into it for me. For good measure, I forwarded my emails to both the RMA Inspector & Maury to keep him in the loop. Thomas put me on hold a few times and came back to ask some odd questions:

1. Have I ever seen that type of processor before?
2. If I received the wrong one, would I even recognize it?

I’m not sure where he was going with this…he never said. I never heard back anything…and as I knew the package was supposed to be shipped back to me, I called again yesterday to try and resolve this.

The third customer service rep I spoke with said I returned an item they didn’t sell to me, all but accusing me of lying, and attempting to defraud NewEgg…which was offensive to say the least. After 40 minutes on hold and speaking with him, I asked again to speak with Maury. He assured me they had pictures of a used processor with fingerprints all over it (the QX9770) and even though it is the item I have been trying to swap the QX9775 for, I expressed the following concern:

I gave NewEgg $1500 of my money…and in return am getting back someone’s used QX9770 processor. As this item wasn’t what I returned, if they ship this back to me and it is DOA I am not covered under NewEgg's 30 day warranty. As the box I originally received with the QX9775 doesn’t match the processor I highly doubt Intel would be interested in covering me should something go wrong in a few months time (I imagine being used someone probably beat the hell out of it and overclocked it… in which case I am getting a “used car” for the return of a brand new one that simply was the wrong one for me).

I can’t help but feel taken advantage of…and also find it odd that I was given grief for trying to return something to NewEgg in the first place (one of your reps suggest I sell it on Ebay??).

All I want out of this whole situation is the item I need and had wanted in the first place the Intel QX9770. I don’t want a refund, I don’t want credit…I am just trying to get the right item so I can finish this. $1500 is a lot of money and doesn’t come easy for me so I take this very seriously. It is horrible as it is as this was a Christmas gift that won’t be ready by next week. Maury had suggested that another customer had made a mistake and put another item in the box…but I know what I sent back. I also know I don’t even have other parts lying around that could possibly have been put in its place. I do know that right now I am out $1500, didn’t get the item I need, and for my trouble in being honest and figuring this would be an easy fix am now, for my trouble, getting back someone else’s used processor.

Lastly, as a thought…NewEgg's own customer service people told me this is their busiest time of year and their RMA department has been handling a large volume of requests. No system is perfect…and ask yourself if mistakes cannot be made on their end. People make mistakes all the time…I admitted my own stupidity for ordering the wrong item but I am awaiting some sort of acknowledgement from NewEgg that I am indeed a “Preferred Customer” and that this situation has been handled poorly from the start.

Ken :mad:

newguy5

yeah i don't know why they would read this forum either.

newegg is pretty solid about customer interaction and i find it hard to believe they would purposely screw anyone. i think if you contact them and talk them through it they will give you the upper hand. they seem to do that even in situations where they are clearly not at fault. so, if their conclusion is that you cheated them, hate to say it but you probably did. if you really didn't, call them back and talk them through it and they'll see it through i imagine.

scooter

banned
.. so, if their conclusion is that you cheated them, hate to say it but you probably did. if you really didn't, call them back and talk them through it and they'll see it through i imagine.

Yea, maybe they have reason to suspect they are being cheated.

We are only being told one side of the story--and to be honest, this is the first time I've heard of anything like this with Newegg.

..As newguy said....I'm sure newegg people have better things to do than to scan CF.com for negative threads about them.

..Maybe contact BBB and file a complaint if you feel you've been screwed--might be your best bet.

ken4656

If you check out even EggXpert there are some complaints...heck check out the Better Business B. (300 some odd complaints??). I haven't been getting anywhere in the 5 hours I spent on the phone. Having bought from them before and being a gamer, people need to be aware before than buy. I still have no resolution...so if sharing this experience gets me somewhere (as patience and politeness haven't) than so be it.

ken4656

yeah i don't know why they would read this forum either.

newegg is pretty solid about customer interaction and i find it hard to believe they would purposely screw anyone. i think if you contact them and talk them through it they will give you the upper hand. they seem to do that even in situations where they are clearly not at fault. so, if their conclusion is that you cheated them, hate to say it but you probably did. if you really didn't, call them back and talk them through it and they'll see it through i imagine.

I agree and this is the only issue I've ever had with them. I wouldn't have wasted 5 hours on the phone and spent $40 in overight shipping to try and scam someone...still trying to get somewhere on this. Believe me...patience hasn't worked so far. Maybe it's because they're so busy??

ken4656

Here's something interesting

So on the sales order it states:

Intel (800)-628-8686 Please Verify Processor matches order Prior to installation.

If NewEgg is as careful about checking serial number, takes photos, blah blah blah as they told me over the phone, why is it they state this on the sales order if they are so sure the processor in the box may or may not match the sales order???

ken4656

Wow!

I take back everything I said about NewEgg. I found the CEO's email address and within 10 minutes of explaining my situation got a response direct from the CEO (now THAT is good customer service). Promised to care of it today. :) YAY!

lovely?

i
heart4848.gif
newegg.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
I take back everything I said about NewEgg. I found the CEO's email address and within 10 minutes of explaining my situation got a response direct from the CEO (now THAT is good customer service). Promised to care of it today. :) YAY!

Sweet.