Newly build computer not working

roany

Hello, a few days ago I bought all the parts for my new computer and put it together but now it's not working. it's like it doesn't get any power when I plug in the power cord and flip the power switch on the back the only thing that happens is the little orange light next to where you put the internet cable lights up for about half a second. I asked a friend who put a few computers together before and looked at it but said that everything was hooked up right. so I was hoping anyone here might know what's wrong and how to fix it.

Punk

Staff member
No power goes anywhere? Can you try another PSU to see if it's not a faulty one?

Are you sure you've put the MB standoffs right?

roany

No power goes anywhere? Can you try another PSU to see if it's not a faulty one?

Are you sure you've put the MB standoffs right?

Well, i guess some power is going to the motherboard because one of the lights turned on for a bit. I don't have a second PSU apart from my old PC but I don't know if I can use that on my new computer?
The standoffs, I got two with my MB I put them in the two places where I thought they should go I didn't see any other place I could put them. Could placing them incorrectly cause this issue?

Punk

Staff member
ATX boards should have 6 standoffs. Mine came with the case though. You should also have a manual with the case explaining where the standoffs should be.

Laquer Head

..The standoffs, I got two with my MB I put them in the two places where I thought they should go I didn't see any other place I could put them. Could placing them incorrectly cause this issue?

Thats your problem, you should have installed all of them. The board has probably shorted out due to improper installation and not using standoffs on all the mounting loactions.

If they didn't come with motherboard, they should have either been attached to your case, or come with the case to be installed prior to board installation.

Punk

Staff member
From the guide on how to build a computer written by Darren:

http://www.computerforum.com/threads/guide-how-to-build-a-computer.232629/

Now that your fans are ready it’s time to install the standoffs. These little metal pieces lift the motherboard off the case and prevent it from shorting out. These are REQUIRED. If you forget one the board can and probably will short and the computer won’t turn on. The layout for these will vary depending on your motherboard form factor but ATX is the most common and what I have here. Consult your motherboard (or case) manual if you are unsure. There is also a chance that the standoffs come preinstalled. If they do make sure they are in the same configuration as the motherboard you’re using. If not, arrange them correctly and just finger tighten them down in the correct place.

roany

Thats your problem, you should have installed all of them. The board has probably shorted out due to improper installation and not using standoffs on all the mounting loactions.

Does this mean something is ruined now? or just not working until i fix it

Punk

Staff member
Normally no, I also had a problem with standoffs when I built my first computer. So putting the six standoffs should do it.

Laquer Head

Does this mean something is ruined now? or just not working until i fix it

Your going to have to build it properly, with standoffs, rebuild what you already did, and hope for the best. Thats why people read guides and ask questions before they build with expensive new components.

roany

You'd think you would have read up first, before potentially damaging brand new parts.

I did put them in just not enough I guess because there were only two in the bag and there are already things in the case that lift it so it won't touch the case when i put the standoffs in they were the same height

Laquer Head

I did put them in just not enough I guess because there were only two in the bag and there are already things in the case that lift it so it won't touch the case when i put the standoffs in they were the same height

Oh you didn't mention that, this is what I said before, if you either installed them or they were attached to case, then you've used standoffs. what you dont want is the board making any contact with the case, so long as its 'standing off' from the board - thats not the issue.

roany

Oh you didn't mention that, this is what I said before, if you either installed them or they were attached to case, then you've used standoffs. what you dont want is the board making any contact with the case, so long as its 'standing off' from the board - thats not the issue.

Any idea what else it could be then?

Darren

Staff member
Sounds like something is shorting. Make sure everything is well seated and also check your USB plugs and that they don't look damaged.

beers

Staff member
Build it outside of the case on the motherboard box to rule out any case shenanigans.