sean101v

My Parts list:

CPU - Intel Core i3 6100 3.7GHz
GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050ti
MB - Gigabyte B250M-DS3H Motherboard
PSU - EVGA 450BV 450-Watt Power Supply
HDD - 500GB Seagate HDD
RAM - 8GB Crucial RAM.
All parts were purchased brand new and were deemed compatible by PCPartPicker.

I'm able to boot it and get into the BIOS, and it stays in there and everything seems fine, but if I load a Windows installation DVD/USB, the computer will show the blue Windows logo. I'll see the dots at the bottom start to load and all of a sudden the computer shuts off completely. A few seconds later, it turns back on.

There's no operating system. I just built it, so there's nothing on it yet.

Parts I've tested and I know are working:

- Power Supply (Tested in another computer)
- GPU (Tested in another computer)
- RAM (Ran Memtest and everything was fine)
- HDD (Tested in another computer)

Things I've done to try to fix it:
  • I RMA'd the motherboard and the same one was sent back because Gigabyte claimed there were 'no issues'.
  • I've tried another 650-Watt Power supply coming directly from another working computer, and it shows the same result.
  • I've tried several different Windows 10 USBs and DVDs, and I've also tried them on another computer and they work fine. I've also tried various versions of Linux yet none boot.
  • The CPU temp, when it's sitting in the BIOS, is 37C (Around 91F).
  • There is a stock Intel CPU cooler with thermal paste. The case has an extra 2 fans. I don't think overheating is an issue.
https://s26.postimg.org/y8rtqm455/20170915_202700.jpg
https://s26.postimg.org/6zggc4321/20170915_202820.jpg

Additional Info:

Latest MB revision. I took the whole thing apart and put it back together again. Took out CMOS battery for 10min and put back in.

I was able to boot from a USB drive with Windows 7 into Safe Mode. You can't install Windows through Safe Mode however. I enabled boot logging and here's the log it gave me: https://pastebin.com/w31bDEqy

Yes, all cables are plugged in correctly (8-pin 12v, 24-pin, CPU Cooler, etc.)

This is a bit of a long read, but I'm seriously stuck here. This was my first computer build for myself, and I was planning on finishing the build late August. I even sold my MacBook Pro to get the money for this build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use the standoffs between motherboard and case? I would also try using different ram. Bad ram can cause this sort of issue.

sean101v

Did you use the standoffs between motherboard and case? I would also try using different ram. Bad ram can cause this sort of issue.
Hi,

I did, as the standoffs are built into the case. I also tested the computer with the motherboard out of the case, as well as several other configurations. Also, I've already ran Memtest on the RAM and it came back with no issues. I don't believe RAM is an issue here.

- Power Supply (Tested in another computer)
- GPU (Tested in another computer)
- RAM (Ran Memtest and everything was fine)
- HDD (Tested in another computer)
Since everything was tested essentially (the motherboard included), I can only assume the issue is software related, since I can boot into Safe Mode on a Windows USB and it works and installs fine. I can't complete the Windows setup however since it doesn't work in Safe Mode.

sean101v

Did you use the xmp profile on the ram in bios/uefi?
Hi,

I'm not exactly sure where to find that. There's a tab called "Advanced Memory Settings" with the following options:

- System Memory Multiplier
- Memory Odd Ratio
- Memory Boot Mode (Relax OC, Enhanced Stability, Normal (which it's on), and Enhanced Performance)
- Memory Timing Mode (Auto (which it's on), Manual, and Advanced Manual)
- *greyed out* Profile DDR Voltage
- *greyed out* Memory Multiplier Tweaker
- *greyed out* Channel Interleaving
- *greyed out* Rank Interleaving
- Channel A Memory Sub Timings
- Channel B Memory Sub Timings

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Sorry message not realated to post....how do i go about posting my own post in this forum? Im new here obviously..
I don't understand how people miss the giant "Post New Thread" button on the top right of every subforum....

sean101v

So, I decided to upload a snippet of a video I took awhile back showing what exactly happens. As you can see, it is just the motherboard with the CPU + CPU cooler, 1 stick 8GB RAM, and the power supply connectors. I would also like to note that when the screen goes from Windows to blank, the MB lights and CPU fan stop spinning completely, before starting back up again a few seconds later.

Video:

sean101v

Issue was a faulty motherboard. Even though I already sent it to them and they claimed it was working fine... I bought a new motherboard and it works perfectly. I was able to return the other one and they said they'll send me a replacement. I'm going to sell the replacement.