Newly built computer crashes when playing new games

Tony2905

I recently built my new computer and set everything up. All of the hardware and software seemed to install properly. I installed all of the drivers for Windows XP pro, video card, soundcard, motherboard and the DVD burner. So I install Splinter Cell: Choas Theory(patched) and I start a new game. Everything seems fine, I start moving around, I'm playing for a good 10 seconds when all of a sudden the graphics start screwing up and then the computer freezes. So I install Call of Duty 2, and the same thing happens just like it did with Splinter Cell. I install Battlefield 2 (not patched) and the same thing happens too. The game works fine for 10-30 seconds then the graphics start messing up and then the computer crashes. When I restart the machine the computer starts up with the pixels all screwed up and then the computer ussually crashes. So to fix this problem, I just unplug the machine and give it a second to rest, then I turn it back on, then the computer is fine again until I try running these games. I cannot figure out why this is happening, my computer is dual cored so I'm guessing that is the main issue. Can anyone help me out? Maybe there is some patch I am unaware about.

My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
(x2)512MB 400MHZ Corsair Ram
eVGA Geforce 7800GT 256mb
Samsung 250 GB harddrive
Antec TruePower 2.0 EPS12V 550W Power Supply
DVD-Rom drive
Audigy Gamer 24 bit

Graphics card driver is 6.14.0010.8198

Last edited:

Yue

chck your video card temps, could be overheating, make sure all ur fans are moving freely, none blocked by an odd wire wire or sumthin. Make sure your ram is seated corectly

Tony2905

All of the temps are around 45 C and everything looks like its pluged in properly. Could it be a faulty graphics card? I was thinking about brining it up to get a profesional diagnostic.

Tony2905

Alright, I did some tests. I set up Call of Duty 2 so that it would be windowed so that I could see my GPU temp. Everytime COD2 crashes the GPU hits 60 C. Is 60 C way too hot or is the video card faulty.

randruff

In your nvidia driver tab, what is the temperature threshold? 60C shouldnt be too hot to the point where you are having issues. Also, to cover all potentials, maybe a power issue?

On a side note, but related, What are acceptable operating temperatures for GPUs? I was playing FEAR the other day and out of curiousity, opened the driver tab to check the temp as soon as I was done and it was at 72C!! I think it may be time to clean out my case!

Antiodontalgic

Overclocked

If you overclock your video card this may happen also. Your video card may be working to fast. This happens quite often if you overclocked it downclock it a little and see if that helps.

Tony2905

The threshold is 115 c and my video card is not overclocked(by me). How do I downclock the videocard?

Last edited:

Tony2905

Alright, I downloaded a utility for my motherboard and I got a warning about the power fan. I'm not exactly sure what that is whether it is the graphics card fan being too low or the fan for the power supply. Here is what it looks like.

http://img76.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled7ha.png

Now can this be one of the reasons why the games keep screwing up? If you think it is, then why does the game freeze at 60c when thats not too hot for a 3d game?