***** Newly built Computer DOES NOT SEE 2nd Hard Drive **** HELP**

rentalking

Hey Guys,

I just built a new computer for video editing ( So I have 2 Hard Drives....one HDD and one SSD -- the SSD houses the operating system -- windows 7 -- and the HDD is supposed to house all the files that I will be storing). When i go into my BIOS I see that the system recognizes that there are in fact 2 Hard Drives ....The Crucial SSD (240 GIG and the 2 TB West Digital HDD. When I launch windows and go into My Computer it does not show the West Digital Hard drive.

Could you please help me out and/or point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Here is the setup of what I am running:

Processor: i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS sabertooth z77
RAM : Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Internal Desktop Hard Drive
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm (with 9.5mm adapter) Internal Solid State Drive
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR5-4GB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP OC WINDFORCE 3X Graphics Card GV-N770OC-4GD
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast Series CP-9020039-NA650W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular High Performance Power Supply
Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced - Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case with Carrying Handles, Black

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If the second drive is new and blank then you have to go into disk management and partition and then format it and assign it a drive letter before windows will see it.

rbarringto

what format is the HDD in? I had problems with my 1TB Western Digital My Passport because I back mine up to my Mac and it formatted my HDD with Journaled +HFS. Was able to use a program to read mine but in this case you need it to be in a NTFS format. Also johnb35 is right about assigning a drive letter to it.

EDIT*. Make sure the ribbon cords and the 5 or 4 pin Power cable are securely connected to your HDD.

Last edited: