Newly Built Computer Doesn't Work

P11

VIP Member
Me and my friend were building his computer and after we assembled all the pieces we turned it on and it made a sound like this , " duh na duh na duh na" like a ambulance in the same continuing pattern.
It is a Abit Motherboard, AMD Athlon XP 2900+ CPU, 250w power supply

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
What are the other parts?

Closest thing if heard to that was a videocard that was not plugged in, It was a 6800gt :p.

Sit back and double check all connections.

P11

VIP Member
Abit Kv7 Series Motherboard
AMD Athlon Xp 29000+ CPU 400FSB
Ultra DDR Memory 512 (RAM) PC3200
Power Supply 250W
20GB Hard drive
Cd-player (not conected)
Floppy (not connected)
Geforece 2 MX200 Video Card

Lax

VIP Member
That usually means some sort of overheating. All the Abit boards will make it in the BIOS or in normal operation if the temperature of the chip is hotter than the temp set in the BIOS. Go into the BIOS and see if there is a warning temp set (so it will warn you if it gets too hot)

P11

VIP Member
the computer doesnt even turn on..... it just beeps no visual on the screen at all. We are using a fairly cheap cpu fan and a cheap power supply so that could be the problem.

Lax

VIP Member
Hmmm, usually that siren sound means overheating. Do you have a more powerful PSU and a better fan (like stock one?) If you have either you might wanna try sticking those on.

P11

VIP Member
ya my first guess is over heating as well. The CPU fan is a old zalam that isnt even conencted to the cpu..it hangs on top. It has a small aluminum heatsink under it. And the power supply was changed with a more powerful one and still the same result.

Last edited:

Lax

VIP Member
Could be that the CPU is dead but it still sounds like it's hitting the BIOS and warning you of being over the warning temp. Are you sure it's not something with the video/gfx card? (meaning you can't see anything but it's still turning on)

P11

VIP Member
I press the power button it starts up for 1.5 sec then it beeps like a siren and nothing happenes to the montior.....btw the cpu fan was not designed for a AMD Athlon 2900+ but for a pentium 1,2. Also the power supply is only 250w and it is 3-4 years old.

Lax

VIP Member
Get a correct HSF assembly and a new PSU right off the bat. You shouldn't really be mixing tech in that way and a PSU that old unless it's a real powerhouse I wouldn't trust it. As for the monitor not displaying anything it might be because it's not hooked up correctly or maybe the gfx is bad, who knows. First things first though, get a new HSF above everything (one meant for the AMD). Have you also tried resetting the BIOS just to see if it stops? (I'm sticking by my heat warning issue only because my board does it to me in the same sound you describe).

P11

VIP Member
well for now ill just tell him to get a new hsf and psu then well try it out and update our progress here.

P11

VIP Member
k so now we got all the parts....and the computer is saying the cpu is running at 934 mhz. Im guessing we need to install the the latest motherboard drivers and update the BIOS correct?

Lax

VIP Member
yes, updating the BIOS would be a good idea, see if that gives the correct speed. Have the alarms stopped?

Lax

VIP Member
Totally forgot about that, thought he was using a P4 for some reason. But yeah, what Blue said, the FSB needs to be set to what you want it, by default I think it always sets it to the lowest possible, right?

P11

VIP Member
yes, all the alarms have stopped. The only message is that the cpu has been changed please press F1. How would i change the FSB ive never worked with a AMD before.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
AMD Athlon XP 2900
You didnt happen to buy this from TigerDirect did you?

250w power supply
A bit on the crummy side

Abit Kv7 Series Motherboard
Did you connect the ATX12

btw the cpu fan was not designed for a AMD Athlon 2900+ but for a pentium 1,2
???!!!?!!!

k so now we got all the parts....and the computer is saying the cpu is running at 934 mhz. Im guessing we need to install the the latest motherboard drivers and update the BIOS correct?
Just goto BIOS and set the FSB properly :)

The only message is that the cpu has been changed please press F1. How would I change the FSB ive never worked with a AMD before.
About the same way you do for an Intel box.... goto your BIOS and look for FSB or Core Clock and change that :)