newly built computer not working

Daerana

Okay, so I've just finished building my computer (my first build) and then feeling very excited and a little nervous I start it up. But... it doesn't quite start up right.

When I press the power button the lights turn on and all the fans start but there are continuous short beeps. Looking in the motherboard manual it says that that's due to a power error. However, I have no idea what that really means, were the problem is or how to fix it.

Please could someone please help me and tell me what's happening and how to fix it. I've already tried starting it up with one stick of RAM, putting the RAM in different slots, unplugging then replugging all cables, I've taken the gpu out and then back in...

Here are the parts;
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
CPU - Intel core i5 - 2400 2.8 Ghz LGA 1155
GPU - Asus 1GB GTX 460 PCI-E VGA Card
Harddrive – Seagate Barracuda 1TB
RAM – Kingston 4GB (2Gx2) DDR3 RAM
Case – Coolermaster CM elite 330
PSU – Coolermaster GX 750W
Optical drive– Samsung S-ATA DVD drive

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daerana

Drenlin

Welcome to the forums! :)

Are you sure you have the CPU power connector in correctly? It'll be somewhere near the top left corner of the mobo, near to the CPU socket. Not having the RAM seated correctly can also cause a similar problem, though it sounds like you've ruled that out.

If there actually is a problem, it's likely the power supply. The GX line isn't what I'd call high quality.

Last edited:

gubrother

Okay, so I've just finished building my computer (my first build) and then feeling very excited and a little nervous I start it up. But... it doesn't quite start up right.

When I press the power button the lights turn on and all the fans start but there are continuous short beeps. Looking in the motherboard manual it says that that's due to a power error. However, I have no idea what that really means, were the problem is or how to fix it.

Please could someone please help me and tell me what's happening and how to fix it. I've already tried starting it up with one stick of RAM, putting the RAM in different slots, unplugging then replugging all cables, I've taken the gpu out and then back in...

Here are the parts;
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4
CPU - Intel core i5 - 2400 2.8 Ghz LGA 1155
GPU - Asus 1GB GTX 460 PCI-E VGA Card
Harddrive – Seagate Barracuda 1TB
RAM – Kingston 4GB (2Gx2) DDR3 RAM
Case – Coolermaster CM elite 330
PSU – Coolermaster GX 750W
Optical drive– Samsung S-ATA DVD drive

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Daerana

umm that motherboard is a 1156 mobo your cpu is 1155

Drenlin

So do you have the GA-P55A-UD4, or the GA-P67A-UD4?

I'd missed that...the mobo you listed in the OP is indeed a P55 board.

Daerana

Oh sorry Drenlin, it is a P67A... that was an old list I had cut and pasted into my post. I edited it but missed that bit. Sorry about the confusion.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you use the brass standoffs between the case and motherboard? You may want to assemble everything outside of the case to see if it works that way. Do you have another power supply that you can use to test?

djiang87

If possible maybe if you can take pics of inside of your tower (various angles and closeups would help heaps). Might help us see how you did your cabling

Daerana

Did you use the brass standoffs between the case and motherboard? You may want to assemble everything outside of the case to see if it works that way. Do you have another power supply that you can use to test?

I used the standoffs.
The only other psu I have is an 450W one that I'm not sure if it even works.

Daerana

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/_Shadow_11/IMG_0226.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/_Shadow_11/IMG_0225.jpg

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/_Shadow_11/IMG_0224.jpg

If you need any more photos of something just let me know... Also, in these photos the RAm is in the first two slots, on another forum someone pointed out that that was wrong for that mobo. So they are now in the 2nd and 4th slots not in the 1st and 2nd as in the picture. Everything else though is the same as in the photos.

Daerana

I've fixed it!

Turns out I hadn't pushed the RAM in all the way so that it clicked.
Thanks to all though that posted trying to help me.

Red Love X

I've fixed it!

Turns out I hadn't pushed the RAM in all the way so that it clicked.
Thanks to all though that posted trying to help me.

Good to hear :good: I'm building a computer myself in the next few weeks, so every time I see a post about it not going right, I get a little nervous.

Glad you got it together!

Drenlin

Congrats man :)

Good to hear :good: I'm building a computer myself in the next few weeks, so every time I see a post about it not going right, I get a little nervous.

Everybody runs into something dumb like that when they build their machine...even experienced people. It all gets sorted out eventually though, no worries. :good: