Gigabyte MA785G
750 Watt PS (Corshair)
140 Gbyte Raptor 10,000 RPM
640 Gbyte WD 7,200 RPM
Radeon 4890 Series 1 GB VC
8 Gigabytes Mushkin 1600 MHZ Ram
Plextor BR-Reader DVD-RW/DVD/CD-RW/CD
Gamer X-Fi SB card

Okay here is the deal. Everything was going fine I decided to use my stock cooler for the CPU. The computer was built, I started out simple got my 140 GB HD installed and my optical drive and the VideoCard. I went through the bios and made my optical drive the primary startup drive. I installed windows and had everything setup software side. After that I went back into the bios and made my HD the primary boot device changed a couple settings:

A) I upped the multiplier on the CPU to x15 making it 3 Ghz, upped from 2.8 Ghz.
B) I upped the multiplier on my ram to x8 making it 1600 Mhz. Which the board is perectly capable of.
C) I chose to backup my Bios flash to the HD.
D) I turned on HDD Smartdrive, then chose to turn it off later

I turned the computer off, connected my other HD and began wire management. Everything was going well.
I turned the computer on and it froze at the computer startup screen, not windows. Resetted the computer, no picture... restart again... I get a screen and turn off HDD Smartdrive. F10, save... okay I figure everything is fine. Well to my misfortune it won't display now...
nor do I get power to the keyboard or mouse...
all the fans are working... the HDD's are working, I can hear their fans... the LED on the sound card lights up... still no display

My diagnoses is I need to reset the bios.... what's your opinion, and how can I help it? :(

wildbill

I tried to overclock my CPU once and it did the same thing you described. Had to reset it back to factory specs and all was well.

JakeUSMC

won't display a picture at all, so I can't restore as you did. I was going to try that but the computer doesn't like me...

wildbill

I wonder maybe the 2nd HD you hooked up isn't holding up the works?? Unhook it once and see what happens.

JakeUSMC

I wonder maybe the 2nd HD you hooked up isn't holding up the works?? Unhook it once and see what happens.

I tried disconnecting both HDs. No response, the DVI cable and VGA cable won't give a connection from the onbaord or aftermarket video

wildbill

Unplug all USB cables, remove the sound card, basically everything but video. Try that and see what happens.

schw32m

how do i reset manually? Icant get a signal from my video card...

Assuming this is your MB pictured below, right next the battery above the usb2 connectors is a little jumper pin labeled 'clear cmos' or 'reset cmos' or something to that effect. It should have 3 pins and currently 1 and 2 should be connected with a jumper. (I hope you have the manual it does tell you how to do this). What you would need to do is connect pins 2 and 3 for a few seconds with the power off. It will clear the cmos saved settings and return the board to its factory state.

You will have to remove ALL of your add on cards and connect to the onboard video port, if all is well it should come back up. From there you can go into the BIOS and start over.

Last edited:

JakeUSMC

Assuming this is your MB pictured below, right next the battery above the usb2 connectors is a little jumper pin labeled 'clear cmos' or 'reset cmos' or something to that effect. It should have 3 pins and currently 1 and 2 should be connected with a jumper. (I hope you have the manual it does tell you how to do this). What you would need to do is connect pins 2 and 3 for a few seconds with the power off. It will clear the cmos saved settings and return the board to its factory state.

You will have to remove ALL of your add on cards and connect to the onboard video port, if all is well it should come back up. From there you can go into the BIOS and start over.

aye definately, i will try this... i have a good feeling this will work, thank you