Newly built PC only BSODs in games

CrowsofFritz

Hello all,

I've had this problem for a little over a month now and I'm just frustrated I can't figure it out.

So, any game I play, regardless of the graphic settings I choose, will have (approximately) 30 second freezes every 10 seconds of game play. I can't access my dumps for some reason: I keep getting "access is denied."

I can post the stop codes and the details I get from BlueScreenView, though.

The STOPS are usually 0x0f4 and sometimes 0x07a. Now, when I bought a USB flash drive and tried to play my games on that, I would play fluidly with no freezes until a BSOD. THAT was interesting.

So, on my HDD, when I would play a game like Skyrim, I would walk for 10 seconds, and in the freeze, I would look at the textures and notice that they aren't really loaded, almost as if the game is freezing because info just isn't getting to the hard drive. When the game unfreezes, I notice a slight jump and the textures are fully loaded. When I look in Event Viewer after the BSOD, I can see tons of atapi controller errors, but ONLY when running games off the HDD, not when I run off the USB stick.

Here's what I've done so far:

Got a new PSU
Used 3 different sticks of RAM (so it's not a RAM problem)
Replaced HDD (so it's not a HDD problem, either)
Re installed Windows

Could it be a motherboard problem?

Specs:
C2D e6750
GT 640
GIGABYTE G41MT-S2PT
4 GB of RAM
Corsair CX 430
WD Black 7200rpm HDD

CrowsofFritz

Ahh right. Temps are fine. I think the GPU was at 54 degrees C when it crashes. CPU is even lower. Maybe the Southbridge is heating up? It's a small case a MOBO.

spirit

Staff member
It could be a motherboard problem, or possibly graphics related. Could you install Blue Screen View and post the results? That would help a lot in telling us what the issue is.

The GT 640 is a weak graphics card for gaming by the way. You're probably stressing it a bit playing those games. Which games are you playing and at what settings?

CrowsofFritz

Here's one 0x0f4 :

020714-18174-01.dmp
2/7/2014 4:04:51 PM
CRITICAL_OBJECT_TERMINATION
0x000000f4
00000000`00000003
fffffa80`06047060
fffffa80`06047340
fffff800`02b83db0
ntoskrnl.exe
ntoskrnl.exe+80640
NT Kernel & System
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Microsoft Corporation
6.1.7601.17514 (win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850) x64
ntoskrnl.exe+80640
C:\Windows\Minidump\020714-18174-01.dmp 2 15 7601 290,536 2/7/2014 4:05:52 PM

And here's a 0x07a:

020714-17628-01.dmp
2/7/2014 7:14:04 PM
KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR
0x0000007a
fffff6fc`40007d00
ffffffff`c000000e
00000001`13eda860
fffff880`00fa0ec0
partmgr.sys
partmgr.sys+dec0
Partition Management Driver
Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Microsoft Corporation
6.1.7600.16385 (win7_rtm.090713-1255) x64
ntoskrnl.exe+80640
C:\Windows\Minidump\020714-17628-01.dmp 2 15 7601 262,144 2/7/2014 7:15:10 PM

I understand the GT 640 is kinda weak, but wouldn't that only mean lower framerates and not BSOD? I get these crashes regardless of the settings I choose.

Skyrim at the lowest settings still crash for me, and any other game regardless of settings crash after a while.

CrowsofFritz

I've noticed in event viewer there is

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort1.

ONLY during the time frame that I play the games.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
That's a hard disk / SATA problem. Try swapping which port your hard drive is plugged into.

Okedokey

Please make sure you try this:

Ensure you have a pagefile of sufficient size.
Ensure you RAM is set to the correct voltage in the BIOS
Ensure you have the latest motherboard bios and sata drivers
Ensure you don't have more than one antivirus installed

Jiniix

*surviving chinese spambomb*

Have you tried using BluescreenView? Has quick google function that googles the error code+driver and reads from your BSOD dumps. Great freeware, can be found on google in no time.

CrowsofFritz

BlueScreenView is what I posted in my earlier posts with the STOP codes and the driver causation.

I have also checked my SATA cables (both power and the cable) and they're fine. This happens no matter the port I'm on. Page file is set to system managed. BIOS is up to date, but it's set on default settings.

I have no clue as to what my RAM voltages (or any voltage for that matter) should be. Any help regarding that?

Jiniix

Yes, but have you tried using BSView to Google it or did you post here first? You can right click the dump and google it. I've never tried where it didn't find a site with the answer.

CrowsofFritz

Yep! It directed me to many sites that didn't give me right answers for me, but I think I solved this.

I got a friend with another hard drive to come and run Linux (so I can rule out software related issues) completely off USB. It worked with no BSODs for an hour, which is 50 mins longer than it ever would be. When I used the Linux HDD plugged in SATA, I got the same results as the Windows HDD. This means that it's definitely a hardware issue, and my guess is with the motherboard, which contains the Southbridge, which controlls SATA related stuff, correct? I could either RMA the MOBO, or buy an HDD USB enclosure for my hard drive.

QUESTION: I'm going to guess that, even though I ran my games off a USB stick, the HDD that was still plugged into a SATA port was still influencing the USB, thus BSODs? I'll let you all know for sure when I game for much much longer.

Last edited: