Nice Video to show how themal paste spreads with the different methods

Computer_Freak

[YT]EyXLu1Ms-q4[/YT]

[YT]ffK7L0Qj13Q[/YT]

He uses a flat piece of glass to show when you apply pressure, what happens when each method is used, and when air bubbles for etc etc

1st video is silicon and metal base. the 2nd uses MX-2, and shows more methods

Nice for alot of people that ask about which is the best way etc

Last edited:

strollin

Interesting. What these videos don't show is how spreading continues after a number of heat up/cool down periods since the viscosity of the compound will change due to temperature. I read on the Artic Silver website that it could take up to 200 runtime hours for the process to complete.

Phy

Looks like a combination of cross and pea method would result in the best coverage then.

CrazyMike

i don't do either. I spread the compound across the surface area of the CPU. Applying a very thin layer. Ensuring that all of the CPU is covered, being sure not to put too much on.

Computer_Freak

if you see the video though, that can result in air bubbles...

true though, heating up and cooling down will move the paste around so that is fills betters, but generally, the 1st application will make it better or worse.

If i apply TIM properly on my CPU (with my cooler) i will get idle temps of 30, and load of 50 on prime. if i apply bad (i tried different methods, cause the cooler is HDT) i get idle of 38 and load of 62

so the 1st application will make the biggest difference, and the heating up/cooling down period (curing) will just spread it slightly more, and get a slight better temperature.

so its better to apply 1st time, so the thermal paste spreads evenly and as much around the CPU (cause the whole heatplate gets hot, might as well draw all the heat out for most efficiency) so that when it cures, it cures as best it can.

2048Megabytes

Interesting video you posted. I prefer the grain of rice sized spread method with thermal paste. Thanks for posting this.