Nintendo DS

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
The DS is the new Nintendo handheld (next generation GBA), it makes use of 'dual screens' where one can be operated with a stylus. It is due out soon, I'm not entirely sure when it is due (i think quite soon in Japan) but some of its strongest titles include a metroid title, and a conversion of mario 64. It should face stiff competition from Sony's PSP which should make things more interesting.

More info over at http://www.nintendo.com/systemsds

Sanjuro

its Nintendo's newest handheld. its a way far better handheld than the Gameboy advance

Nintendo DS
1.it has touch screen technology
2.Tow screens thats what the DS stands for(dual creen)
3.way better graphics than the GBA
4.its at reasonable price as well
5. its worth the $150.00

PSP
6. last thing just to let you know that the PSP(playstation portable)
will cost between $300.00 to $500.00
the only reason for this is because it will be capable of handleing Ps2 graphics!

anyways you decide, you dont have to go with my opinoin.

i hope i explained this to you clearly, if i did not the ask me to explain it again.

Tha Killa

Sanjuro said:
its Nintendo's newest handheld. its a way far better handheld than the Gameboy advance

Nintendo DS
1.it has touch screen technology
2.Tow screens thats what the DS stands for(dual creen)
3.way better graphics than the GBA
4.its at reasonable price as well
5. its worth the $150.00

PSP
6. last thing just to let you know that the PSP(playstation portable)
will cost between $300.00 to $500.00
the only reason for this is because it will be capable of handleing Ps2 graphics!

anyways you decide, you dont have to go with my opinoin.

i hope i explained this to you clearly, if i did not the ask me to explain it again.

Wow. PS2 graphics? Are you sure? That would be amazing for a handheld.

4W4K3

VIP Member
PSP will support PS2 graphics...but the games ACTUALLY designed are usually dumbed down. I read an article by EGM Magazine where they comared the systems and showed actual graphics for both...some of the PSP games were beautiful, others looked worse than the DS.

Only beef i have with DS is it is still marketed towards younger gamers with games like Mario (seems kinda kidish)
They still use cartridges so graphics aren't impressive (although much better than previous gameboy graphics)
using cartridges also limits the sound quality of the games...don't expect a symphony. it shouldagain be better than GBA sound though.

PSP beefs i have are as follows:
VERY short battery life, you couldn't even finish a LOTR movie on it b4 it died on you
Price tag is ridiculous, even for the features it has i could get a PDA that lasts longer and can do more (besides gaming aspect)
the controls on it are limited and laggy on most games reviewed by EGM magazine...they said it was ok on some games...but most were unresponsive and clunky.

overall i would get the DS if i HAD to choose one, but i am not getting either of them. Just as i do not wish to get a console like the XBOX or PS2, i don't wish to get a new handheld. My N64, GBA SP, and computers will stay with me forever:)

ZER0X

VIP Member
Either Nintendo DS or PSP would be good for long trips...When I go on long trips...I always take my Gameboy Advance :D but what I really want for long trips is a MP3 player that can hold minimum of 4 gbs :p

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
VERY short battery life, you couldn't even finish a LOTR movie on it b4 it died on you

Yeah I read it only last for something like 2 hours when playing back a movie or gaming, and developers are being told to not use certain features when creating games to keep the battery usage higher?

Based on this the DS would probably be my choice of the two :cool:

4W4K3

VIP Member
aqsg72 said:
Yeah I read it only last for something like 2 hours when playing back a movie or gaming, and developers are being told to not use certain features when creating games to keep the battery usage higher?

Based on this the DS would probably be my choice of the two :cool:

i dont remember the actual time (left magazine in my skool ocker lol) but i think itwas 3hrs while playing a DVD and 6 hours when gaming. If yo can plug it in the car and watch it no biggy....but i'd want to take it to skool, meetings, trips...DS seems like the better of the 2.

4W4K3

VIP Member
nope, gotta save for x-mas presents, i'm getting a digital camera, and i need to upgrade my laptop RAM. I might pick up a game for my GBA-SP though...if its under $20. gamestop is only like 5mins away from my house.

geranimo://

Remember the DS may last longer, you cant watch movies on it/listen to music...

PSP is way more a multimedia system, where the DS is more for real gaming, although there will be some kinda chatprogram...

The reason PSP's graphics can be compared to PS2 graphics is the size of its screen, the PSPscreen is way smaller than the PS2's screen (a whole tvscreen), what keeps resolution way higher...

To extend PSP batterylife, Sony is asking developers to find ways to keep the UMD rotation as low as possible, by that I mean they have to try to load as much as possible from the UMD, using the less possible rotations..

psp4.jpg
:D

Last edited:

geranimo://

If I'd have to buy one (wich I dont and wont), I'd go for the PSP, its just so sexy :D and able to do more stuff, only bad thing about it would be its price, and Im pretty sure thats around 300$....

4W4K3

VIP Member
I could buy a portable DVD player and a DS with a few games just for the price of a PSP lol. If battery life improves on the PSP with newer game development i might get sold into it though...(again IF i was even considering actually purchasing one lol)

Super_Nova

The only limitation cartridiges have are storage space. And I do believe the new DS cartridges are suppose to handle several hundred MB's like a flash card but I could be wrong. As far as sound quality you can rip a CD and copy it's contents to a cartridge and have an Identical sound quality as long as it fits and is ran through the same sound system. The only limitation to sound that the DS would have is if it did not have a decent audio chip in it. The reason the N64 didn't have alot of games with great sound is because most games had to be crammed on a 64MB ROM chip instead of a 650MB CD. Sound was usually the first corner they cut. However they did manage to cram alot of impressive stuff on a chip. I'm sure if the DS could pull off a 256mb or 512mb cartridge it could be pretty sweet.

aqsg72

<b>VIP Member</b>
So if anyone gets one of these things...tell us what its like :)

I think I'll wait some time after both PSP and DS have been released I'll wait and decide which one to go for, I don't really want 2 handhelds. I'd be a bit concerned that the DS would be subject to further NES/SNES and maybe even some N64 converts. Really I don't understand the way Nintendo has used the GBA, if I wanted to play these games I played 8 years previously, I could happily go on ebay and pick up one of those old consoles and lots of games. It seems some developers will be going the same way on PSP with some of you mentioning GT4 being developed almost identical to the PS2 version. I'm also not too convinced by a stylus unless the DS becomes a lot more varied than mere chat functions to utilise such a device.

I don't doubt what all of us would like to see is more innovation and originality, and while the DS has this with its stylus very few games seem to be utilising this in an effective and meaningful way.