Nintendo Switch: Did you get one??

JLuchinski

Watching this kind of explains some things, the copper contact on the GPU is small, (around 16:00 minute mark) not sure if it's very efficient.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
The entire console looks like a POS. Though I would like to try one and give the new Zelda a go.

JLuchinski

Same here, it looks amazing but with the stupid looking controller and the price of the console I'll wait. I remember the days when you could rent a console.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Same here, it looks amazing but with the stupid looking controller and the price of the console I'll wait. I remember the days when you could rent a console.
blockbuster1.jpg

Darren

Staff member
Bruh you're a my age, but like... really?

I got a N64 when I was 5.
Ironically my parents shielded me heavily from video games as a child, a GBA was my first video game device in like 2003 but I never used it. All they ended up doing was forcing me to use crappy old computers (had my own since 5) and watched as Runescape and other online games consumed my soul starting in third grade. Kinda glad honestly because it forced me to use computers a lot at a young age and my interest grew with it.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Yall young AF.

I remember getting a SNES for my birthday being like 6
SNES? :(
I can get a PS4 Slim for $299 with Uncharted 4. A Switch runs $399 with no game. One of these seems like a lot worse buy.

JLuchinski

SNES? :(

I can get a PS4 Slim for $299 with Uncharted 4. A Switch runs $399 with no game. One of these seems like a lot worse buy.
Yeah, my oldest son just asked me if he could get a switch for his 10th birthday coming up, I cringed a little. Such a terrible launch, I can't get over how stupid the joycon controller is, especially when it's on that stupid square dock thingy.

mistersprinkles

Yall young AF.

I remember getting a SNES for my birthday being like 6

I got a NES when I was 5. YOU'RE young AF rofl.

Yeah, my oldest son just asked me if he could get a switch for his 10th birthday coming up, I cringed a little. Such a terrible launch, I can't get over how stupid the joycon controller is, especially when it's on that stupid square dock thingy.

Explain to your child that the switch sucks donkey bollocks and explain WHY. Our generation is blessed with understanding technology, unlike our parents generation. My mom had no idea what an NES was she just knew I wanted one. Switch sucks. Tell the kid he should get a gaming PC or PS4 instead.

Some points I suggest bringing up in this conversation:

Explain what max theoretical floating point perf is. Explain that the switch hovers around 1TFLOP docked and that a PS4 pro is (I think like 4 or 5TFLOP?)

Show your child videos on youtube of Switches bricking out of box, left joycon desync, screen scratching in dock, screeching sounds, etc.

Tell your kid about the glory days of Nintendo and juxtapose that train of thought with the mess and joke Nintendo is today.

Tell your kid that the switch is a rip off for the power you get out of it.

Mention GARBAGE battery life

Mention NO multiplayer without smartphone (which I doubt your 10yr old owns)

Mention that the COOL kids all surely have a PS4 and play cool games like For Honor, Battlefield, etc.

Last edited:

_Glitch

They should, but they haven't.
Because the switch is selling like hotcakes..... I simply don't understand why.

JLuchinski

I got a NES when I was 5. YOU'RE young AF rofl.

Explain to your child that the switch sucks donkey bollocks and explain WHY. Our generation is blessed with understanding technology, unlike our parents generation. My mom had no idea what an NES was she just knew I wanted one. Switch sucks. Tell the kid he should get a gaming PC or PS4 instead.

Some points I suggest bringing up in this conversation:

Explain what max theoretical floating point perf is. Explain that the switch hovers around 1TFLOP docked and that a PS4 pro is (I think like 4 or 5TFLOP?)

Show your child videos on youtube of Switches bricking out of box, left joycon desync, screen scratching in dock, screeching sounds, etc.

Tell your kid about the glory days of Nintendo and juxtapose that train of thought with the mess and joke Nintendo is today.

Tell your kid that the switch is a rip off for the power you get out of it.

Mention GARBAGE battery life

Mention NO multiplayer without smartphone (which I doubt your 10yr old owns)

Mention that the COOL kids all surely have a PS4 and play cool games like For Honor, Battlefield, etc.
Same here, I remember the glory days of playing Mario on our 19 inch tv with three channels. I told him all of those points, he wants more Pokemon stuff so I'm ok with that. I have enough trouble getting them off of video games anyway, don't need more in the house.

JLuchinski

They should, but they haven't.
Because the switch is selling like hotcakes..... I simply don't understand why.
Because it's "new and innovative" and it's "nintendo", and also Zelda. Plus thery're really good at marketing to different groups of people who could give less shits about graphics and many other things.