"No Boot Sector on Hard Disk"

SAAER45

I completely cleared out a hard drive using a "windows washer" utility, and when I go back to try to install Windows, I get a message "No boot sector on hard disk". It doesn't let me boot from the Windows CD either.

It'd be great if someone could help me out here.

dznutz

go into bios and see if your cd drive is configured to be in the first boot order. that should allow you to use your windows cd to format/install/etc

dznutz

have you verified that your drive can read your windows disk? i'm thinking either the cd or cd drive is bad

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't let me boot from the Windows CD either.
That shouldn't be affected by the washer tool.

Have you checked this?
go into bios and see if your cd drive is configured to be in the first boot order.

Most systems will prompt you for a few seconds to press a key before bypassing boot from CD and going to the hard drive to boot. If you miss this it will look like you can't boot from CD.

SAAER45

Alright, so its not letting me boot from CD and it doesn't have USB drive in the boot list.

Any other ideas people? =(

fmw

Go back and re-read the responses you have received and see what you did wrong. The "washer" I assume is a partition program which removed the partition. To get going again to need to create a new partition, format it and load an operating system. In order to do that you need to boot from your optical drive rather than your hard drive. You control that in the BIOS. That's true of every BIOS designed for use with Intel/Windows computers. Keep working at it until you have figured out how to change the boot sequence and how to save the results. Take your time and read as you go. Then you can proceed. There isn't any other way unless you have a network. Then you could do a network boot.