No Category for this

bearcat

Thank you for taking a look. If you respond, please word your reply
as if you were talking to someone who has never seen a computer before.
Seriously.

I am using a brand new Biostar A960D+V3 running Windows 10.
I am concerned, as it is only a few months old.
Reviews state that the power supply is too weak.
It has already frozen a couple of times, often when I was doing very intensive things simultaneously, such as streaming video open, email open and a computer game running.
Last freeze was the worst, it got stuck on the Win10 spinning dotted circle and it took many hard reboots to get it running again.
I decided to try to see if it was overheating, but I'm not good with computers. I downloaded three different free heat software, and can't understand any of them.
Most of all I don't know the answer to the question, "What exact temperature is too hot?"
and I dont' know how to set the computer so that when it gets close to that temperature, it will produce an audible alarm.
CoreTemp has numbers on it, but doesn't say WHAT THOSE NUMBERS MEAN

And finally, I should mention that this was recently shipped by me via UPS.
The box and computer were damaged by UPS.
The box is the exact same one the manufacturer originally packed it in.
UPS is all over the map with what they say. One person said the damage claim was denied because of inadequate packaging. Well, if that is the case, WHY did the clerk at UPS accept the box?

Getting the runaround. Turns out, very dishonestly, the UPS store is NOT run by UPS, even though they have the same name!

One side of the case is caved in. One foot broke off. The metal panel on the back where things like USB are plugged in are slightly caved in. I wish I could get a computer repair guy to come into small claims court and testify "Even though it runs, in my professional opinion, this computer is no longer reliable and should be replaced because of the shock of damage."

If you look up this computer, Amazon no longer sells that specific model.
The supposed "free tech support" is a complete black hole, no answers months later.
Already out of warranty.
Please dont' waste time telling me I should have bought a better one.
I don't know much about computers, and I don't have much money on social security.
When my old computer kept going BSOD, I got desperate.

almost forgot: I can't figure out how to turn off the darn fan lights.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to deal with shipper/where you bought it from. You stated a motherboard, not a prebuilt computer system. Did you build this yourself? Not sure why you would buy a motherboard that is outdated unless you already had the cpu and stuff to go with it from a previous build. If the case is damaged and you can't get anywhere on it then you may just need to bite the bullet and buy a new case. A damaged case very well may cause issues with your system especially if motherboard doesn't fit like it should have have grounding issues.

bearcat

You need to deal with shipper/where you bought it from. You stated a motherboard, not a prebuilt computer system. Did you build this yourself? Not sure why you would buy a motherboard that is outdated unless you already had the cpu and stuff to go with it from a previous build. If the case is damaged and you can't get anywhere on it then you may just need to bite the bullet and buy a new case. A damaged case very well may cause issues with your system especially if motherboard doesn't fit like it should have have grounding issues.

I am sorry. I know almost NOTHING about computers.

The Amazon description of the machine is this:
Shinobee SSD Ultra 8-Core Gaming PC/Multimedia Desktop Computer - FX 8300 8 x 4.20 GHz - AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB DDR5 Graphics - 8GB DDR3-240GB SSD - 50 (Computers & Accessories)

Shinobee SSD Ultra 8-Core Gaming PC/Multimedia Desktop Computer - FX 8300 8 x 4.20 GHz - AMD Radeon RX 460 2GB DDR5 Graphics - 8GB DDR3-240GB SSD - 500GB HDD - Win10 Pro - CD/DVD±RW - WiFi #6006

Please read the OP again more carefully. It WAS NOT DAMAGED when recieved from the manufacturer.

I had to ship it via UPS for a trip.
UPS damaged it at that time.

Mostly what I want to do is find out whether it is overheating and cope with that.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The circled temps are the ones you need to worry about.

coretemp.png

I had the Fx8300 but don't remember what temp it was at. tj max is the max temp the cpu should be at before it starts shutting down.

bearcat

Unfortunately, I for years now I have gone seraching for help with things online.
The illustraions and steps never match what I see on my screen.
I dont' see what you do.

How do I insert a screen shot in this forum?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Click on upload a file on the bottom of your text box as you type your reply.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If its a true 420 watt unit, then it should be fine. But most of those cheap power supplies actually push out way less then what it says. If you are not willing to open the case then we won't be able to help.

bearcat

If its a true 420 watt unit, then it should be fine. But most of those cheap power supplies actually push out way less then what it says. If you are not willing to open the case then we won't be able to help.

Strange that something like DXDIAG doesn't identify it.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Power supplies will never be identified by the system as its not designed to do that like other hardware is. About the most info you'll get from the psu is voltages on the different rails.