No Hard Drive/ Second Hand Desktop

Lord Snooty

I'm kinda confused now.. you basically wanna run the new HDD/SSD sata cable from drive to one of those top 2 white/grey sata 6g ports... then the other cable for power..one end to drive one end into the power supply..thats all.

In BIOS boot from the USB drive that you downloaded windows too, click save and reboot.

the setup process should start.

Unless you need to manually enable sata ports on that board..I'm not sure..
There are currently two SATA data connectors not attached to anything coming from the top two white/grey ports.

Laquer Head

unplug any unused cable.

Sounds to me like you aren't actually providing power to the drive,..is the power cable coming right from the power supply?

Lord Snooty

unplug any unused cable.

Sounds to me like you aren't actually providing power to the drive,..is the power cable coming right from the power supply?
Yes, there is a power cable attached to both Sata connectors (the one's that are attached to the HDD bays), I do not have power connectors for the spare SATA data cables coming from the white ports. When this machine was working I guess that the hard drives were in the top two bays attached to the existing connectors. My son told me he heard of a kid nearby that is handy with PC's so he is going to contact him. Thanks for your help and interest in trying to solve this, I don't want to become a pest on this forum.

Laquer Head

No worries about being a pest.. I'm not gonna lie, I have no idea what is actually going on since a hard drive is only 2 cables and sounds like there is multiple things hooked up and without pics I really don't even know what we are talking about now.. sorry

Lord Snooty

Update:

Well, I walked away from it for a bit and then came back. I have it working! Swapped the sata and power fixed bay cable to one of the the white connectors on the MB, reformatted the older 320gb HD from an XP machine, had to contact ibuypower for a windows 7 installation disk which they sent to me for a reasonable fee. as the activation code was an OEM. Copied the disk contents to a flash drive and installed. Works fine, runs CS GO perfectly ( as was my goal), my only concern is the power used by the Radeon cards (crossfire), they were actually dual HD 5970 2gb as opposed to what was thought to be dual 5870 1gb cards. I may sell them on ebay and get a lighter on the power used 4gb card, any suggestions?

Intel_man

VIP Member
What's your budget on a card? CSGO isn't hard to run. A GTX 1050 ti is more than enough to run CSGO at 1080p.

Lord Snooty

well not much since its an old PC, I see that your recommendation seems apt for what I want it for. Though I took one of the cards out and it's running way less hot now, they were very close together on the MOBO with a large fan on their intakes. I downloaded a GPU temp monitor and GPU 1 was running 70c at IDLE, GPU 2 was 56c idle. After taking one out, it is now 50c idle and about 70 under load, so well within the parameters of this card. It is still running CS GO fine, so I may just keep it and have the other as a back up. Maybe the GPU will be a wee bit more expensive to run but it's just a stop gap until he gets a better PC. Even getting both of us on the bug to potentially build or rebuild after figuring all this out. It's quite a nice motherboard from what I can tell. Thanks!

Lord Snooty

Well I took Intel Man's advice and bought a 1050 ti which I upgraded into my regular machine and put the GTX 750 in this older computer. Working fine now, though this Thermaltake level 10 case is a bit too big and cumbersome on the desk (wont fit underneath either), any recommendations for an ATX form case that I can switch out to? I will also need a new CPU fan to replace the old water cooler one, as it's pretty old so a suggestion there would be good too. There is a thermaltake 1200 watt PSU in it I'm not sure if I want to switch over either, I do have a spare Thermaltake 430w that I could use instead, is that a good idea? Thanks for suggestions..

beers

Staff member

Lord Snooty

Thanks, though I went more for a budget route and bought a Fractal Focus G, decent price and looks good too I think. I hope the MB fits in there, it does say that it is for ATX form. Not much choice for CPU fans being it is a socket LGA1366, and not sure whether to port over the 1200w PSU into the new case or that would be overkill..