No internet after Win7 to Win10 upgrade

Robert P

Tried upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 Service pack 1 and everything works except I have no internet. System has Realtek ethernet adapter, got the latest driver and installed it, no difference.

Under Win7 I connect to the internet with a cable to my Centurylink modem/router.

I've got everything backed up with Macrium so it's easy enough to switch back to Windows 7 but want to see if I can get Windows 10 going.

Any insight as to how to fix this?

Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Does the network icon down by the clock say say that you have internet access?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a screenshot of the device manager with the network adapters section expanded.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Also make sure you are using the latest version of windows 10 by using the media creation tool. There was an issue with network drivers and connection issues with one of the builds. Can't remember which one though.

Robert P

Can you post a screenshot of the device manager with the network adapters section expanded.
Here. I did update the RealTek driver to the latest downloading off the RealTek site. Made no difference. Win10 upgrade downloaded from Microsoft so presumably it's the latest version.

Device Manager Win10.JPG

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Open a command prompt by searching for cmd in the start menu.

You'll see a screen like this.

cmd.jpg

Type the word ipconfig and hit enter and you'll see this

ipconfig.jpg

Give me a screen shot of this info please.

Robert P

Open a command prompt by searching for cmd in the start menu.

You'll see a screen like this.

View attachment 9974

Type the word ipconfig and hit enter and you'll see this

View attachment 9975

Give me a screen shot of this info please.
It didn't automatically go to the C:\Windows\System32 I navigated to it with CD\ but once I got to C:\Windows\System32>ipconfig all it does is bring up Windows IP Configuration but nothing after it. Then back to C:\Windows\System32 again.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What is that express vpn tap adapter? Do you have vpn software running? If you do, uninstall it. Or any other security software that might be blocking your internet connection.

Robert P

What is that express vpn tap adapter? Do you have vpn software running? If you do, uninstall it. Or any other security software that might be blocking your internet connection.
You were in the right ballpark - I uninstalled the Comodo firewall since it showed it wasn't working correctly and on restart I had an internet connection.

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you got it sorted it finally. With any firewall software you have to allow the internet connection as being trusted.