WIndows 10 no mdp signal from device

niunit

Randomly when booting up my computer in the morning my monitor gives the error, "no mdp signal from device." I have replaced the cable and even tried hdmi when it happened and that didnt resolve it. Typically restarting it a bunch and unplugging and re plugging in things will finally fix it. It also only happens on the initial boot up, never when it has to be woken up. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this or figure out the main root cause?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check your monitor settings for DP type input. Also, it's possible the video card needs a firmware version update. What video card are you using?

niunit

Check your monitor settings for DP type input. Also, it's possible the video card needs a firmware version update. What video card are you using?

I have it set to auto and thats the cable I use. When I tried the hdmi it will the say the error and say hdmi instead. Its been going on for months, but i just did a clean install of the last update today. I'm using a gtx 1080.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Seems that cable is only compatible with a few of the older models. You might need a newer type of DP cable, newest version is 1.4 not sure what that cable is. Or again, might need to update the firmware on the video card. You might want to google your error message and read what hits come up.

Don't know why the DP port on that monitor is out only and not in. Doesn't make sense.

edit. like this one for instance. https://www.dell.com/community/Monitors/U2518D-HDMI-switching/td-p/5174160