No post after mobo/cpu/ram upgrade-Bios possibly?

Good afternoon all!

I recently decided to upgrade my CPU, RAM, and Motherboard and I'm not getting a post screen when the PC turns on (Specs listed at bottom)
There's a few led lights on the side of the Mobo, the one that says "CPU" is red (and the others are not lit) which tells me it's having a problem with the CPU.

No beeps or anything else comes up, just a black screen (the monitor is plugged into the board).
I don't think there's a problem with the CPU itself as the installation in the board went fairly smoothly, and the power cable is plugged into the board correctly. Just for the heck of it I checked to see if it was seated correctly and verified that it was

A quick google search led me to think a flash was needed, I tried a version that added my CPUs support but to no avail, maybe I just didn't flash correctly?

I extracted the files to a USB, plugged the USB in and hit the "flash" button on the side (while the PC was off)-a red led lit on and off three times before staying off, from what I heard that means it should've been successful.

Tomorrow after work I'm going to try the latest BIOS version they have posted to see if that works, but are there any other ideas? I'm a bit stumped beyond flashing the bios again

Specs:
Power Supply: thermaltake TR2 600W (old)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk (new)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 2nd Gen (new)
RAM: Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) (new)
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 360GB SATA/300 7200RPM 8MB Hard Drive(old)

I also have a GPU and a sound card but I decided not to plug them in until I can at least boot up

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You do need the latest bios version for the cpu to be compatible with the motherboard. When you say you had the power cable attached to the system, you are talking about the 24 pin mainboard connector and the 8 pin cpu connector right? If you built this yourself, did you install the standoffs between motherboard and case correctly?

Ye you will have to flash it with compatible cpu once done install your new one and should work

You do need the latest bios version for the cpu to be compatible with the motherboard. When you say you had the power cable attached to the system, you are talking about the 24 pin mainboard connector and the 8 pin cpu connector right? If you built this yourself, did you install the standoffs between motherboard and case correctly?

I got around to installing this today and success!!!
Turns out I was doing the Bios update wrong, when I downloaded the file I should've renamed it to MSI.ROM-before I was just leaving it as is
Thanks for your help guys!

beers

Staff member
Glad you got it sorted out.
Ye you will have to flash it with compatible cpu once done install your new one and should work
A few of these boards have a CPUless flashing mechanism where you can just load the BIOS image on a USB stick and hit flash, such as the OPs.