no "press any key to boot cd"

viet_Cong

hey, frist of all i found a old computer in my house, i though it would be a good ideal to format for my dad to use it because he doesnt surf the web alot.

my issue is that when i put in my windows cd in there is no screen that shows "press any key to boot from cd" but its loads striaght to my pervious old windows which didnt finish installing. so i get an error .

any know how to fix?

claptonman

Try resetting the CMOS battery, worth a shot. There's a round battery on your motherboard. Before you take it out, turn off the computer, keep it plugged in but turn off the switch on the power supply. Make sure you are touching the metal part of the case with your skin. Take the battery out, you make have to use a screwdriver. After you did that, press the power button a couple times, then leave it sit there for 5 minutes. Replace the battery, and turn it on.

You'll have to change the boot order again.

viet_Cong

Try resetting the CMOS battery, worth a shot. There's a round battery on your motherboard. Before you take it out, turn off the computer, keep it plugged in but turn off the switch on the power supply. Make sure you are touching the metal part of the case with your skin. Take the battery out, you make have to use a screwdriver. After you did that, press the power button a couple times, then leave it sit there for 5 minutes. Replace the battery, and turn it on.

You'll have to change the boot order again.

it didnt reset anything in my bios, they all stayed the same.

am i doing it right?
- turn off computer
- plugged the power cord (there is no switch on my PSU)
- get the ccmos battery out
- wait 5-15 minute
- put it back in
- turn on computer
- go into bios and boot order

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If its a genuine windows install cd and you set the boot order to boot to cd first then either you have a bad drive or its jumpered wrong if its an IDE drive.