No "press any key to boot from CD"...

Fury

Hey Everybody

I'm giving my computer a clean windows XP install. I've deleted all partitions and created new, to ensure that I get everything formatted, so I can do a fresh, clean start. Anyway, when booting from the XP CD to install it, it usually asks if I want to boot from CD with the typical "Press any key to boot from CD" question. But, it doesn't! Which means, that after copying the setup files to the harddisk, as it does in the beginning of the install, it reboots, but doesn't ask whether I want to boot from CD or not, and so we have a loop, ladies and gentlemen. It automatically boots from CD, copies the setup files to the harddisk partition of your choice, reboots, and then boots from the CD again (and therefore restarting the installation, thus the copying of setup files).
I have tried to remove the CD, before getting to the boot part, and I have also tried setting the BIOS to stop booting from CD, but then it says there is no boot device, and that I should insert a system disk or similar.
I have no clue what is wrong... I've tried different XP discs and I don't know if it's a problem with the BIOS or the harddisk or whatsoever.
HELP!

Yours sincerely
intEx

cyclones9

Everytime when I reinstalled, It asked for the press a key... Maybe something copied wrong during installation?

Fury

Well, I've tried to install it several times, and it's all the same, so I refuse to believe that it has made a mistake in copying that many times in a row. I've now also tried to load default settings in BIOS, but still the same. It doesn't say "Press any key to boot from CD."
Anyone out there, able to help?

Yours humbly
intEx

Ben

VIP Member
Did you go into the BIOS and check the boot order?

You have to make sure that the CD ROM drive boots first, therefore giving you the "Press any key to boot form CD" option :)

PohTayToez

When it restarts, you might go into the BIOS and completely remove booting from a CD. Not a great fix but it should work.