No response at boot

Hadesdude

Hi,

here's the problem: suddenly I can't enter the BIOS anymore, it just does not react to my DEL-key... It also doesn't react to bootable USB, it just goes straight to Windows and from there everything works perfectly.

The only hardware thing I changed before having this issue is replacing the Silverstone 180mm top fan with the more silent Enermax 180mm (UCTA18), which now runs at only 600rpm. Both use the 3-pin connector, even though it is one at a closer location on the motherboard now.

But I need to use bootable USB :( any help please?

Hadesdude

I begin to suspect it's the Sandisk Cruzer Pop (8GB) I bought... since it is sometimes recognized as fixed disk. Is there a way to change it back to removable?

MyCattMaxx

Make sure that you have the thumb drive unplugged.
Try to see if you can get into BIOS.
If you are using a USB keyboard and can't get into BIOS try a PS/2 keyboard.

Hadesdude

Hi again,

1. well my keyboard that I have used for more than two years now will certainly not be it or be replaced, it's a pretty expensive Logitech K800 (€100) through bluetooth, the mouse also uses the Bluetooth Unifying Technology.

2. I got into BIOS this evening again without the USB and for some reason the boot order was mixed up. Later on I just plugged in the slightly older Sony USB, booted the pc and it went to the setup, so woohoow.

3. I solved the problem with the new Sandisk USB sticks by following the instructions on this page.
So now they both boot their respective setup!

Hadesdude

Hah. Got the problem again when installing Linux with one of the USB-sticks, even though they were not inserted after installation.
But the problem disappeared this morning, so it could be something with internal heat or some internal memory through a capacitor or something...
Gonna try the CMOS clear if I get it again.

Hadesdude

Okay. So here's what I did now. And there is no USB-stick inserted.
I cleared the CMOS, went to the BIOS (yup it worked) and set some settings back to wanted settings. One of the settings was using Windows as primary OS above two "Ubuntu" options. Go figure which ubuntu is which if there's no further detail...even though it's probably just been moved to n°2.
Anyway, after save&reboot it went straight to Windows (no OS choice). There I worked a little bit and now that I'm ready and wanting to go to Linux, the keyboard does not react again.
Even after really shutting down the system for a few minutes, it does not. Maybe it would if I waited an hour or more, since it only seems to work when the pc is cold...