no sound/card noit recognised

tpclan

Hi,
I have had to have my hard disc wiped and reinstalled. I now have no sound, have looked at the devise managment area and all sound devises it says are working correctly. But wheb I check the audio dece it d#says no audio device fitted and all areas regarding speaker settings and mic settings are greyed out. On connecting my speeker cable to the computer I get a crakle from the speakers. It seems to me that the sound card is not being recognised (but realy haven't got a clue) does anyone know how I can get the sound to work. I have no speaker icon on the task bar. I am unable to find the normal sound settings whereby you can set the balance etc.
I did not have any discs for the sound card with the computer when I bought it.
Many thanks

tony

PC eye

banned
If this is a prebuilt system you wiped the preinstalled OS off of the hard drive and now need to go to the manufacturer's support site. Once there you look the system's model up and go to the download page for updates.

Some general system information would help here in locating the updates for the board and other hardwares/devices as well as for sound. What make and model is the system are you running there? would be the question.

Okedokey

Install the chipset drivers for your motherboard and then install the sound drivers. Done.

If you do not know what they are, download PC Wizard and install it. Run it and go to FILE, SAVE AS and click OK. Then copy the text out of that saved file into this thread and then I will tell you exactly what to install.

PC Wizard link: http://www.cpuid.com/download/pcw2008_v185.exe

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
You mean forget what the loud mouth there is uttering. If you don't know the system information like make and model seen generally on the attached label a less intrusive tool that doesn't require an installer rather then a benching marking program that just happens to list some information is the quick and easy solution.

With a simple right click to create a desktop shortcut if not simply double clicking on the file you download to any folder the System Info for Windows(SIW) tool will tell you quire a bit more. The highly rated free tool is described at http://www.gtopala.com/

If you prefer an installer that will automatically create a desktop shortcut that version is also seen along with the original on the download page at http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

Okedokey

PC Eye, all that is needed here is the chipset drivers. If he doesn't know the chipset, then PC Wizard can easily give that to us, and other info in a user friendly manner. It doesn't matter though which one does it as they are practically the same.

To the OP, if you want to sort this, install the chipset drivers followed by your sound drivers. Thats all.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
PC Eye, all that is needed here is the chipset drivers. If he doesn't know the chipset, then PC Wizard can easily give that to us, and other info in a user friendly manner. It doesn't matter though which one does it as they are practically the same.

To the OP, if you want to sort this, install the chipset drivers followed by your sound drivers. Thats all.

How do you know that tpchan doesn't already have those on? You don't!

First of all is this being seen on a prebuilt or custom build? No system information has been provided yet. Another thing to note is that not all who run PC Wizard have great results. Some complain about erroneous cpu temps much like what was seen with the Everest free home edition on occasion.

The SIW is not instrusive on the other hand since the version seeing an installer simply creates a folder in the Start>Programs menu. You still right click there to see a desktop shortcut created you drag onto the desktop. The stand alone simply sits in a folder unless you do the same for that.

The motherboard information is displayed by simply clicking on motherboard in the hardware catagory seen in the column on the left side when using the SIW tool. It provides a far more detailed breakdown on information in general as well as more for the board itself.

Okedokey

because it is a reinstall and based on my experience the most likely cause of no sound in these cases is people not installing the chipset drivers.

PC eye

banned
If those were forgotten you end seeing a long list of problems like trying to access drives to browse folders, multimedia, gaming, and the list goes on. It won't to reinstall if something didn't go on fully the first time around either.

But sound drivers are known to be flaky at times especially if you just happen to have Realtek for onboard or having had a Creative card last summer when their support site as well as the auto updater plus MS update site would see Vista drivers going on XP! :eek: :mad:Grrr...They finally cleaned up that mess. :rolleyes:

Okedokey

If those were forgotten you end seeing a long list of problems like trying to access drives to browse folders, multimedia, gaming, and the list goes on. It won't to reinstall if something didn't go on fully the first time around either.

Thats just wrong. The lack of chipset drivers have nothing to do with browsing folder LOL, or accessing drives, or any of the stuff you are refering to. And that second sentence doesn't even come close to making any sense.

The chipset drivers need to be installed each and every time a new OS is installed, and is very often forgotten.

TPCLAN, what computer do you have?

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Someone simply wants to make a lot of noise but without any common sense. Chipset drivers just happen to effect onboard memory controllers which in turn effects numerous processes. Besides just chipset drivers you also have sata controllers also needing drivers.

Okedokey

If the sata drivers weren't installed how is the oS? Anyway, PC Eye, and lets see what his PC is first.

Last edited:

Okedokey

You stifle it! and stop butting in. I'll let the OP answer the question not you.

Mate you have a big grudge on your shoulder. I am not butting in, i am simply offering my view, but you always have to have the last say right? You don't decide who can answer what ok, you are not a mod, remember, coz you asked and they said no.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Since the OS wasn't even mentioned yet you'll have to wait until tpclan replies with an answer there. Vista sees some generic drivers allowing sata drives to be detected and Windows installed without need for the F6 option like was seen with XP.

Why? 6yr. gap between versions has seen the trend lean towards sata where a driver disk as well as newer chipsets allow installation without need for a driver disk. With Vista on the board here the software disk for the board as well as support sees only XP drivers for the chipset, sata/RAID controllers, etc. while Vista drivers are seen through the MS uodater as optional hardware updates.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Chipset drivers just happen to effect onboard memory controllers which in turn effects numerous processes.
Ehh... all memory controllers do is to control memory. And you don't need drivers for memory controllers. Chipset drivers include drivers for all integrated peripherals/devices, such as onboard audio, SM Bus, and such.

PC eye

banned
The SM bus monitors critical system processes including voltages, temperatures, fan motor control ICs that in turn will effect memory along with many other things. Cpus at this time however have their own onboard memory controllers. The drivers for the chipset are totally separate and different from those used for onboard video or audio. Those see their own driver/software set.

Cleric7x9

uninstall sound drivers if they are installed

download and install Microsoft UAA

reinstall sound drivers

reboot

eat cake

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
The SM bus monitors critical system processes including voltages, temperatures, fan motor control ICs that in turn will effect memory along with many other things
Yes, yes, I do know that...
Cpus at this time however have their own onboard memory controllers.
Currently only AMD CPUs have their own integrated memory controllers. Intel CPUs have their memory controllers on the motherboard, and neither of them requires drivers (at least they never appear in device manager...)

PC eye

banned
I never said they did. Meanwhile I have to wonder if tpclan was able to get all drivers on and finally realize sound or discovered the onboard sound chip was no good?