No Sound from Computer!

prizmstar

Hey can someone please help me I have been trying and trying to fix this. There is absolutely no sound coming from my computer. Videos and things play but no sound comes out the speakers or headphones. I've looked for drivers but I can't find any and I really don't even know if I am looking for the right ones because I don't know much about this stuff.

First of all can someone tell me how to tell you what you need to know for this problem like tell me where to find what soundcard I have installed or whatever and then try to help me fix it by getting the drivers or whatever is wrong with it please. I really need sound for my work :(

This was my daughters computer before me and the sound used to work, they got a virus I guess and have since restored it and given it to me and now everything works but the sound. If that info helps.

Maby this will help too...
devicemanager.jpg

Last edited:

Jabes

banned
what type of computer is it and is the sound card on the mother board or is it a pci card type sound card?

prizmstar

Its a AMD Athlon with XP umm I'm not sure what kind of soundcard I have or if it's on the motherboard or not how do I check that?

Here is another screencap that may or may not help:

audiodevice.jpg

Says none right now but it was working at one time so don't know what happened :(

prizmstar

Here is all my system specs that are on a piece of paper I got with it don't know if it tells anything about the sound card but I can't understand it that well derr lol...

AMD Athlon XP Processor 2100+ with Quantispeed Architecture
128MB PC2100 266MHz Non-ECC DDR Memory
M7VIB-A KT266A DDR ATX SOC-A MB
60GB Ultra ATA (5400rpm) Hard drive
ATI XPERT 2kPRO 32MB w/TV CMPL
16x DVD Drive
32x12x48 CDRW Drive
10/100 PCI Ethernet Adapter
56K (max) v.90 PCI WinModem
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

k the rest is just dumb stuff I think, does that help at all?

Jabes

banned
is it a name brand like hp or compaq or is it just one that somebody built and how you can tell if it is pci or on the motherboard is if it is with the monitor port on the back of the pc or if its on the 2nd half of the back of your pc

prizmstar

is it a name brand like hp or compaq or is it just one that somebody built and how you can tell if it is pci or on the motherboard is if it is with the monitor port on the back of the pc or if its on the 2nd half of the back of your pc

It's Systemax. And I'm pretty sure its not with the monitor its on the same part as like the usb ports and stuff.

prizmstar

Says System:
Mircrosoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
1.73GHz, 256 MB of Ram

that it?

prizmstar

no thats not the model it doesn't say it on the pc? anywhere?

There are lots of numbers but none of em says model # so I dont know which one it is here are some of em...

55277-OEM-0011903-00132 that was in the my computer properties

and then on the back there are these numbers

BIO-EM-49763

and

X08 34930

and

and

00043-421-002-818

and then the serial number but thats not the same thing is it?

holdenssx

It looks as if you have a Biostar MOBO, I tried looking for the drivers but their website seems to be down.

eric92park

*Off Topic*
Biostar is a bad Mobo:
1. Lot of DOAs
2. Bad Life Time
3. Slow Boot
4. Bad sound support(Like this post)
5. Bad HD support

Biostar is good in this aspect:
1. Cheap
2. Common on lot of computer
3. Easy to install