No Sound, NO JOKE!

Pleeeease!

Ok, so here's the deal. I got a used gateway computer and installed xp onto computer. It has an onboard sound card which was working just delicious before reformatting. I've gone to the gateway website and installed the chipset and audio drivers for this motherboard . . . nothing. I've installed a generic verision of realtek high definition . . . nothing. I've checked the services folder and made sure windows audio was on . . . nothing. I've checked out the bios and made sure the sound card was turned on in the motherboard and . . . nothing. Device Manager says all devices are working properly.

And yes, I've checked the speakers and wire to make sure they're working and no, the thing is not on mute. Windows tells me that all my audio devices are working properly but my volume controls are greyed out. I'm usually pretty handy on computers but this one has driven me a bit mad.

I know the hardware is good but I can't get windows to communicate and give me any sound . . . HELP!

Last edited:

Pleeeease!

Gateway GT 4024

Motherboard model number MS-7248r.

Like I said, I've downloaded the drivers for the chipset as well as the audio drivers from the gateway site. Any assistance is greatly appreaciated, thanks.

ellanky

Yeah, because I know that XP SP3 has a problem with HDA... I learned that the hard way. I spent hours trying to figure out why my audio wasnt working. At the moment I use SP2.

Ah man, I can't remember how I solved it though >.o
If I remember I'll post

chrisalv14

banned
Hi mate, i think you need to install additional drivers for your device. I had this problem before on my other computer,
simply "google" your device (speakers ) and after the device name , simply add "drivers"
and click search.

Browse through the results and choose.

good luck.

Service pack 2.

Don't ask, but it cannot be updated to 3 under any circumstances
I have service pack 2, theres nothing wrong with having sp2, most people have it.

lawson_jl

So Pleeeease! is saying is what your saying is you have a bootlegg copy of Windows and you don't want to chance updating it. You likely need to download the high definition audio driver package from Microsoft (KB88811). To fix HD audio in windows XP.

sg1

One way round it....

If you desperately NEED sound and can't get the drivers to work for whatever reason, then you could just get a soundcard installed!!

I assume you have a spare PCI slot?

Pleeeease!

I have two pci slots. One is used for a usb card because the motherboards onboard usb's (all of them) won't read. Rather than replace the board I put on a usb card. The other slot is used for wireless since it's in a location that can't get hardwired to the internet.

What can be done when you know all the physical elements are working and the drivers you load won't bridge the communication for the sound?