No video signal

novicegeek

Quick question. If someone is using a DVI monitor, will this disable the VGA port? I can't seem to get a video signal from a computer that I'm troubleshooting.

Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Usually yes. When setting up multiple monitors you'll need to use DVI or VGA and then DP or HDMI. What video card does it have?

novicegeek

Sorry. Misunderstood the question. The ports are in the back. Next to each other. Not a card on the motherboard.

OmniDyne

In my experience with integrated graphics (motherboard output) you can only use one digital output and one analog output. So if the motherboard has a DVI/ HDMI and VGA output, you should be able to use either the DVI or HDMI and VGA output, but not all three, just two.

novicegeek

Not sure, but I can tell you that my computer uses a VGA monitor, and I hooked the one I was using on the co-worker's computer up to mine, and it worked just fine. I'm thinking the VGA port may not be active at the moment, because the monitor instantly goes to sleep.

BTW. Sorry if this questions sounds a bit familiar, or will sound that way.

novicegeek

Okay, I'm feeling a bit stupid. I just looked it over again. I did not find an HDMI port, but I did, however, find another DVI port on the graphics card. That would probably answer my question.

Sorry to bother. I am a novice at this.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If a dvi monitor works connected to dvi port and then unhook and try vga monitor to vga port and it works then the problem lies to where either the vga or dvi port will be active but not both at same time. To get muiltiple monitors you'll need to use one or the other and then one of the HDMI or Display ports on the video card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Just looked and no it doesn't. If you are using a dVI from the video card and using VGA attached to motherboard onboard graphics, the video card deactivates onboard unless you go into bios and see if you can enable hybrid graphics.

Last edited:

novicegeek

Yeah, problem is, I don't have a DVI monitor. I'm still old school, as far as my monitor is concerned anyway. I'm assuming that my co-worker does, so I just asked him to bring his monitor to work tomorrow, and I'll (hopefully) go from there.

Thank you all for your help.