No video?

CharmPeddler

working on a friends, new to him, computer. he has never seen it running.

with that said, when i turn on the computer, nothing shows up on the screen. there is a "no signal" msg and the monitor goes to sleep. i have switched out the video cards (no on board video) no difference, unplugged the PSU and CMOS, still nothing.
the mobo is an ASUS P4C800

where should i check next? is there much left to check before i can say the mobo is shot?

p.s. i have checked the monitor connections and i know the monitor is working because i have it on a KVM switch.

thanks in advance

Knightsman

Is the power supply giving power to the fans and what not?

When you press the power button do the fans turn on (cpu fans, case fans??)

CharmPeddler

ok, no luck on the Hdd. cant feel or hear a thing on it.

also, with or with out the HDD, i should get at least the bios boot up right?

Knightsman

Sounds like a bad mobo. If Its a custom pc take out the CPU and fan and see if the motherboard will post or at least beep. The Hard Drive should spin up without the processor if the Motherboard is good.

Make sure to take out the memory as well and put it back in if its the same outcome then that rules out memory also. Memory has been known to not allow a motherboard to post.

If you still get no beeps the mobo is dead. If you do get beeps and your hard drive spins i would bet on the CPU being bad.

CharmPeddler

cpu and memory out, HDD and VideoCard connected only. i get no beeping, no nothing :(

pretty much leaves me with a bad Mobo?

2048Megabytes

You have to leave random access memory in the motherboard or you won't get anything.

Edit: Just read again. You have to also have your central processing unit hooked up.

Last edited:

CharmPeddler

with same as above cept WITH ram, still nothing happening.

im off to bed. thanks for all the time/help/learning. much appreciated.

i'll check back here for any more info tomorrow.

Knightsman

The memory doesnt need to be in place, it would still beep. Same if you took the CPU out.

Sounds like a bad MOBO to me. Sry :(

Connor.S

I just had this same problem about a week ago. tried everything you have tried. after about a week of it not working i realized it was the power supply. power went out on that and killed the mobo. had to get new mobo and psu...

CharmPeddler

PSU hugh? well i'll take one of mine out and stick it in there. too bad i already got rid of my "tester PSU"

might as well give it a try, better to know FOR SURE than just tell him he's SOL.

thanks connor.

CharmPeddler

ok, the guy brought two of his PSU's and when i plug them in, on started up and then made a "sizzle" sound and shut off. the other will start up then shut down, every time i push the power button.

at least the first one will start up all the way... now im totally lost as to wether its the mobo/the psu/ or if its the mobo stopping the second two PSU's from running

~pulls out hair!!

lol

2048Megabytes

It's possible when a power supply wears out that it will permanently damage the motherboard. This may have happened in this situation.

CharmPeddler

Megabytes, if that is the case, then i really cant say for sure if the second PSU's are bad or if they aren't working because of the MOBO, with out testing them right?

and thanks again guys, ive learned alot. much apprecaited!