No wireless

nevadagary

Hi all I have a Gateway MA2A and it recently crashed so I reformatted the HD and thought I had installed all the drivers but now it doesn't see the wireless adapter. Even in device manager no wireless network adapter shows up. The Fn F2 key toggles wireless on and off but nothing. Anybody help??:(

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Look on the bottom of the laptop for the specific model number or serial number. It will be listed on a sticker.

nevadagary

Did you reinstall your wireless program from the wireless routers CD?

It has nothing to do with installing any software. The wireless adpater on the motherboard is not showing up. All other hardware is. No wireless anything shows up in the task bar. It's like the wireless adapter isn't even there.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Check the bios to make sure that the wireless adapter is enabled, if there is such a setting. Also in device manager, are there any entries with question marks? Even is the wireless switch was turned off you would still have the device in device manager. Go into network connections in control panel and see if a wireless connection is listed if the driver is properly installed.

nevadagary

Check the bios to make sure that the wireless adapter is enabled, if there is such a setting. Also in device manager, are there any entries with question marks? Even is the wireless switch was turned off you would still have the device in device manager. Go into network connections in control panel and see if a wireless connection is listed if the driver is properly installed.

Thanks for the info I'll try it later. Gotta go for bird day dinner right now.:rolleyes:

camel lips

It has nothing to do with installing any software. The wireless adpater on the motherboard is not showing up. All other hardware is. No wireless anything shows up in the task bar. It's like the wireless adapter isn't even there.

Chances are it is the software.

If gateway does not show a individual driver for it download the chipset drivers and run that program.

If that does not work install a program called pc wizard. It will search your entire hardware and tell you the exact manufacture of your wireless hardware and then go to THAT manufactures site to get the driver for it.

Ive had several Gateways over the years that I re imaged and this always did the trick.

nevadagary

Chances are it is the software.

If gateway does not show a individual driver for it download the chipset drivers and run that program.

If that does not work install a program called pc wizard. It will search your entire hardware and tell you the exact manufacture of your wireless hardware and then go to THAT manufactures site to get the driver for it.

Ive had several Gateways over the years that I re imaged and this always did the trick.

Drivers are installed, BIOS enabled and I downloaded pc wizard to a cd and tried to run in in the laptop it said it needed an internet connection. I don't have an internet connection without the wireless.

paulcheung

I have the same laptop. Does the wireless light in front of the touch pad on? You know the wireless adapter can turn on and off.
Just a thought.

Last edited:

camel lips

Only other solution without seeing your computer would be to buy or borrow a USB wireless connector and get internet that way. Once installed you might be able to download a driver from device manager.

nevadagary

You should NOT need a internet connection for PC Wizard

Is this the one you installed?

http://pc-wizard.en.softonic.com/

You do have the switch enabled???

I just found out that PC wizard has to be downloaded to the computer it's going to be run on. I put the downloader on the CD and to run that I need internet. There is no way to save the program to the CD and then extract it to my laptop. So that doesn't work either.