NO

Virssagòn

VIP Member
Your problem lays on your "not enjoy" part. You'll never reach your "enjoy" part if you don't want to learn and do the practical behind it...

NyxCharon

Sounds like you want to be a project manager. Doing that without "getting your hands dirty" is going to be a bit of a challenge however... Most places promote there long term devs to a position like this. Regardless of what you are managing, you are going to need to be fairly versed in what ever you are managing, whether that be programming or some other technological item.

cjmarsh81

+1 for Project Manager. or Business Analyst.

If you are a project manager in a business integration team you don't necessarily have to be a developer. You need to have a basic knowledge so the developers you are managing don't pull the wool over your eyes.

The Project Managers in our Business Integration team at work are not technical or developers. All they care about is how long is the task going to take. They don't care how it works, as long as it is finished before the next stage of the project starts.

Chris

strollin

In all my years in development, I don't think I've ever encountered a Project Manager that had previously been a developer. Project Manager is a fancy title but PMs usually are paid less than developers. However, a sr PM may earn more than a jr developer.

PMs don't require any coding knowledge, their job is is keep track of the project itself, your description of what you enjoy fits in pretty closely with a PM, "... managing the workflow, making sure that someone else (or me) is doing a good high-quality job. I'm good at noticing problems early (hence thinking of improvements), preventing them from happening. I enjoy creating strategic layouts and plans on how to achieve a particular goal." PMs need to be able to identify project bottlenecks and critical issues so that they can be managed to complete the project on time without compromising quality.