Noctua CPU coolers

bomberboysk

Also, the larger one will provide more surface area and therefore lower thermal resistance(eg- lower temperatures).

Aastii

VIP Member
I'd get the larger one. bigger fans need less rpm to give the same amount of cooling.

not necessarily, depends on design.

The fans in my system, the 120mm ones atleast, I took out of old power supplies (easy "free" cooling, just solder the wires on different connectors ;)) and compared to proper fans, they are louder and move less CFM than a good quality 100mm or 80mm would

linkin

VIP Member

The fans in my system, the 120mm ones atleast, I took out of old power supplies (easy "free" cooling, just solder the wires on different connectors ;)) and compared to proper fans, they are louder and move less CFM than a good quality 100mm or 80mm would

Well that's a PSU fan. we are talking CPU fans and the like.

bomberboysk

Generally speaking a 120mm will move more air than an 80mm or 92mm fan will. That is why if you compare apples to apples among fan lines, the 120mm fans generally have less motor noise and move more air, but due to moving more air may result in more noise from the air being moved.