Noisy Computer Fan

brazilianandy

New Member
Hi,
My computer fan is really noisy, it always has been. I got it free off dyslexia support so didn't want to complain. But now I've had it 3 years and it's getting so that we don't use the computer much, which is a shame as it is a really good pc.
Could someone please help me solve this problem. I don't know if the fan is kicking in too soon, or if the it's on too high an rpm etc.

Many Thanks for any help

Andy
 
When is the last time you cleaned it? When the Heatsink gets full of dust it can not release heat, the dust is like insulation almost. I would be willing to bet that it is not releasing the heat from your processor and it is telling the fan to speed up because it is hot. Take the side off your case and see what it looks like. Get a can of compressed air and a paint brush and get to work. Really look at it good, there is many small hidden places dust builds up. Try this and write back.

-Blow out Heatsink
-Brush off fan blades
-Brush and blow off intake and exhaust grills
-Brush off fan and blow out graphics card(if you have one)
-Blow out power supply
-Blow off Hard drives
-Look around and get all the dust you can out


*Before doing anything make sure it is off and unplugged from the wall. Let it sit for a while so it can dissipate any electricity it has build up.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I've followed your instructions, and put a drop of oil on the fans, and it is quieter now. I would still like to get it quieter it is still too noisy. As I said, it's been noisy since i got it. Is there something i can do with the program that controls the rpm/ prefered temp.?
 
If you don't want any sound at all, put your computer in a vat of mineral oil [: It works wonders for anyone. You should check out some mineral oil PCs
 
Back
Top