Would you sign a "Non-Compete" contract

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jeff6strings

I would like to ask (as a general poll) if anyone would agree to sign a Non-Compete contract with an employer if the Non-Compete contract contained any or all of the following conditions:

1)Once no longer employed with said employer for any reason (resignation or termination)

2)Will not work in the same profession (or activity of work) within a 30 mile radius of this employer (after termination or resignation)

3)No officers, co-workers etc… of any new employer will work in said profession (or activity of work) on your behalf

4)Will not contact clients of employer for any reason regarding said profession (or activity of work) after termination or resignation

5)Liable for monetary damages if contract is violated

Given the information above and having any or all of the following personal responsibilities:

1)Mortgage or Rent

2)Child Support or Alimony payments

3)Child(ren)

Would you sign a Non-Compete agreement with an employer upon hire or prior to employment if they present you with a “non-compete” contract containing the conditions as stated above knowing you have any or all of the personal responsibilities as stated?

Thanks for any replies to this question (poll).

Jeff T.

Last edited:

dave597

VIP Member
if this relates to the computer industry, then how would (2) work? since this type of industry is foot-loose and the market/target audience is worldwide.

jeff6strings

Dave597,

Thanks for the reply, but the reason for the post is that this is a true ongoing issue involving a real contract and on someone's behalf I would like to know how the computer/networking community feels or has had experience with such issue.

Thanks.

dave597

VIP Member
So the point of one of these contracts is to protect the smaller companies from getting their ideas stolen?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
jeff6strings: While asking yourself these questions, look at it from the employers point of view.

While I have seen honest people switch job fields because they were laid off and cound not work in their desired field.... its a standard Business Practice, and I think an important one.

Integrity is a value set that very few people have in todays society. Too many people are screwing companies... case in point: my cousin is a Loan Office for a mortgague company and his company constantly loses clients when fired employees take "their" clients with them when they leave... that is illegal, yet very hard to prosecute... the company that is asking you to sign the non-compete contract is entrusting you to be an honest law-biding employee... but dont you think they need something to fall back on once you leave their company?

Question:
How long will this contract be valid after you no longer work there?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
jeff6strings said:
That's one detail if forgot to post. The term is 3 years.
Thanks.
Jeff

Thats actually not too bad. Might seem a little long, but sometimes companies have you sign contracts that are damn near LIFETIME contracts..(that kind of contract is no brainer... unless the annual pay has: ,000,000 in it or your job is as secure as a position on the US Supreme Court...dont sign it!) I wouldnt sign anything over 5 years...

The rest of the contract seems standard... I had an interview last week and if I am offered this job I will have to spend at least 2 years, 9 months there... While that sounds great.. consistent work, one giant step into the otherwise hard to get into world of programming..... its a proprietary language that deals with nothing but global variables :eek:... anyway... talk it over with your family... because a 30+ mile drive is never fun ;)