Non Gamer Build. Please review before I order.

dm76

Ok I will think about it. I wonder if I should just hold off on that for now since I havent built a computer in over 10 years in school once. So if I ever do it, I would just need some better type of cooling? That motherboard you listed isn't too much cheaper, especially sine there is shipping on that one and the other one is free. And I think with a combo deal it comes out the same. If it was a lot cheaper maybe I would go for it! Hehe. But we'll see. Its good to know aboute the PCIe slots adding price. I notice a lot of the boards have none or very few of regular PCI slots. Are they not used much anymore? I guess thinking about it now, I can't really think of what cards would be added, except maybe a sound card, which I wouldnt do anyways.

Drenlin

PCI will go the way of the floppy disk before too long, but it's still used on a lot of things that don't use alot of bandwidth. Those little PCIe 1x slots have more bandwidth and are simpler to produce, plus you can use pcie 1x cards in 4x, 8x, and 16x slots.

You can actually overclock those processors by a decent amount on the stock cooler, but yes, you'd need better cooling to get it to the speeds I was talking about. Even if you don't, though, that processor isn't exactly lacking in power...it should be more than enough for now.

dm76

Actually that motherboard I mentioned is back in stock now and with the combo deal it is $20 off so I will get that.

Ok, so I narrowed down the list of cases I like to these:

Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133094

NZXT Beta - I think I like this a little better than that Gamma you mentioned
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146059

Coolermaster Elite 335
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119161

Coolermaster Elite 430
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119227

Rosewill Blackbone
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147023

And possibly the Coolermaster HAF 912 you mentioned.

If any of these I should avoid, let me know, otherwise I will let my wife look over these since it will be out where it can be seen someday soon! lol. Anyways, do you need a lot of clearance around the sides/top of these for air? Hopefully I can get this ordered tonight so I can play with it this weekend.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Between those listed, the NZXT EVO. Better cable management and harddrives easier to take in and out. Needs to have a 120 back exhaust fan added.

Or the Cooler Master 912.

Drenlin

The NZXT Beta EVO is easily the best of those, apart from the 912, but the USB ports and buttons are on the top of it...won't work if you have it in a cabinet.

As for the others:

The CM elite 430 and Thermaltake V3 are very similar functionally, thought he 430 has more expansions available up front. They have good airflow, but little in the way of cable management. They're still serviceable, though, but remember that both have a window on the side...people can see if the cables are messy.

The Elite 335 is inferior to the rest in just about every important aspect.

The Blackbone has the best cable management apart from the Beta EVO and HAF, and has lots of ports and expansion bays up front, but it's still a top-mount PSU design, which means no top fans. It'll run hotter than the others (except the 335), but its dual 120mm's should still keep the rig at comfortably low temperatures.

How I'd rank them, best to worst:
HAF 912
Beta EVO
Elite 430
V3 BE
Elite 335

Last edited:

dm76

Hey I totally forgot about the Challenger. That was supposed to be on the list. And if that ranks up there, do you know if you can turn the LED off on the front fan? You are right about the ports on top of that EVO that I wouldnt be able to use probably.

The NZXT Beta EVO is easily the best of those, apart from the 912, but the USB ports and buttons are on the top of it...won't work if you have it in a cabinet.

As for the others:

The CM elite 430 and Thermaltake V3 are very similar functionally, thought he 430 has more expansions available up front. They have good airflow, but little in the way of cable management. They're still serviceable, though, but remember that both have a window on the side...people can see if the cables are messy.

The Elite 335 is inferior to the rest in just about every important aspect.

The Blackbone has the best cable management apart from the Beta EVO and HAF, and has lots of ports and expansion bays up front, but it's still a top-mount PSU design, which means no top fans. It'll run hotter than the others (except the 335), but its dual 120mm's should still keep the rig at comfortably low temperatures.

How I'd rank them, best to worst:
HAF 912
Beta EVO
Elite 430
V3 BE
Elite 335

Drenlin

I'd put the Challenger in the same spot as the Beta EVO. It's a bit smaller, but comes with more fans stock.

You can't turn off the LED's on any of these, but you can switch the front fan with one of the non-LED ones so it glows out of the back or top instead.