Noob here and need another hdd

G25r8cer

Ok so right now I have vista home premium installed on a seagate 320gb hdd. I want another hdd and found a 500gb one that im gonna buy. I was wondering could I make 2 partitions on the new one so I can install say XP or another Vista version on it and the other partition for music and stuff? Can I open the stuff on the second partition from each operating system? I am kinda newbie when it comes to multiple partitions. Can I make one partition like 100gb and the other 400gb? Much help is needed and apreciated.

Quentin_T

Sure, you can do everything you said there. :)

Now, I have some questions for you, are you going to be adding the 500g drive? or replacing the 320g with the 500g?

You could simply use the 320 for all your operating systems and games and the 500 for music movies, etc.

Been a while since I installed vista, I'm not sure how similar it is to XP. But in XP setup you can create and remove partitions very easily.

If you'd rather do this partitioning in windows, you can install the hdd, boot up vista, right click on "Computer" and go down to "manage". In this utility you will find your disk management. This will allow you to partition the new HDD however you feel.

Just an FYI a 500g drive is about 465g formatted with NTFS.

G25r8cer

I am adding the 500gb! I knew that it is less when formated but yeah. Thanks for the info! I didnt know you could manage the hdd's inside of windows like that. So I can Install an os on one partition and all my other stuff on the other? What about when I want to boot up, will the bios let me boot from either the 320gb main or the 500gb partition that has the os?